Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser diode driver ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

hey guys, i got a high powered red laser diode, that requires around 3V @ ~220ma. Now what I was wondering, is if anyone had any idea's on a driver that could power the diode, but also support analog modulation. The modulation signal would be 0-5V, and i'd need the lasers power to adjust accordingly. ie, if I sent the laser driver's modulation input 5V, the laser would be full on, and if it got 0v, it would be right off, and everything inbetween.

EDIT: It would be good if it could run off 5V DC, and the modulation has to be somewhat fast.

Any idea's?

Last edited:
There is specialized circuits to drive lasers, but a simple way to run that one from 5V would be to use a not-less-than 10 Ω resistor in series to limit the current.

To modulate it from full-on to full-off range in the entire 5 Volts, a medium power transistor also added in series should handle the task.

+5V---------10Ω-----------A--|>|--K----------C--tr--E----------Gnd

Miguel

Last edited:
hey guys, i got a high powered red laser diode, that requires around 3V @ ~220ma. Now what I was wondering, is if anyone had any idea's on a driver that could power the diode, but also support analog modulation. The modulation signal would be 0-5V, and i'd need the lasers power to adjust accordingly. ie, if I sent the laser driver's modulation input 5V, the laser would be full on, and if it got 0v, it would be right off, and everything inbetween.

EDIT: It would be good if it could run off 5V DC, and the modulation has to be somewhat fast.

Any idea's?

hi,
Look at this forum link:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/laser-driver-modulator-circuit.29446/?highlight=laser

There is specialized circuits to drive lasers, but a simple way to run that one from 5V would be to use a not-less-than 10 Ω resistor in series to limit the current.

To modulate it from full-on to full-off range in the entire 5 Volts, a medium power transistor also added in series should handle the task.

+5V---------10Ω-----------A--|>|--K----------C--tr--E----------Gnd

Miguel

Hi, what kind of transistor would you recommend, that would give me full modulation from a 0 to 5V signal?
:)

Hi.
You caught me without an ECG manual on hand; but by smell I would say a 2N3053 or equivalent. The base has to be properly driven perhaps by a potentiometer to allow the span from cut-off to full saturation.
Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back