Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laser detection an jumbled reply for speed traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

butchville

i'm working on a speed laser detection device that sends a jumbled laser diode signal maybe 1000 herz to upset a hand helt laser speed detector i need help with the firing signal. i'm using a solar cell with a filter for detection need to turn on a 555 timer an fire a cycle of led pulses. this should confuse the laser an give me more time to slow down i would like to also light a led or sound device for early notice than i'm hit with a laser. any help would be appeciated. i found 100mw diode s of the range i needed at radio shack i have the 555 an a assortment of ic an caps an resistors. thanks again. im a beleiver in the kiss princple keep it simple studip. lol

If your circuit can detect a speed trap's laser beam then guess what.
It is too late to do anything about it because your speed was already clocked by that beam. Then if the speed trap detects your jammer you will be charged again, for interfering with justice in addition to speeding.

Just slow down.
There are morons on the highways just creeping along.
At night, they don't have their lights on.
Whatever causes them to drive slowly also seems to make their reaction time very slow. If you are driving too fast then they won't even see you and will pull into your lane at the moment you are passing them.

Speeding doesn't cause accidents, if everyone is speeding. Going slowly doesn't cause accidents, if......, you know.

butchville said:
i'm working on a speed laser detection device that sends a jumbled laser diode signal maybe 1000 herz to upset a hand helt laser speed detector i need help with the firing signal. i'm using a solar cell with a filter for detection need to turn on a 555 timer an fire a cycle of led pulses. this should confuse the laser an give me more time to slow down i would like to also light a led or sound device for early notice than i'm hit with a laser. any help would be appeciated. i found 100mw diode s of the range i needed at radio shack i have the 555 an a assortment of ic an caps an resistors. thanks again. im a beleiver in the kiss princple keep it simple studip. lol

You really should follow Audioguru's advice.. but I'll add some for kicks..

As pointed out, it's too late for detection and then scramble. You have to run the scrambler constantly while driving if you want to stand a chance.

You should find out if your solar cell will have a detectable response to a laser. The laser light incident on the cell is not at all like the sun light that the cell is designed for.

The laser gun might be modulating its laser signal. If your scrambling techniques just puts out alot of DC laser light, you won't fool the receiver.

Power is another issue. Your power output should be many times the output of the police unit if you are to "overwhelm" the signal. I don't know if that's feasible for a low budget project..

Direction is another issue. Lasers are ideally collimated. You need to consider the direction of the source which, could really be anywhere..How do you handle protection from any direction? Sounds expensive..

Consider also that the "spot" or area that the laser illuminates is relatively small. You might need several sensors to assure yourself of good coverage.

A pal of mine (state trooper) was telling me that his unit is a trigger pull sort of thing - he aims and fires - in an instant he has a reading. Certainly there is a window, though it may only be milliseconds, where it is sampling. Your "confuser" would have to react within this very small window of time - or as suggested already, be on all the time and be very powerful.

Foolish as some of this may be it does provide for some interesting discussion and learning. Butchville's experiment will be successful even if he fails to do what he thought he could do - because he succeeded in learning (and so did some others).

thanks for the input as far as speeding goes a four lane limited access divided strench of rd for 2 miles at 45mph is a little rediculus. i have been pulled over by these morons 11 times in 10 months no ticket." twice for a dirty tag i live on a dirt rd." i drive a 78 gmc 3/4 ton van. once for hiding my tag " it a class three trailer hitch it mountsunder the bumper the tag mounts in the middle the ball is in the middle of the tag ." it was manufatored that way from the factory . i work the late shift an these oficers ar profiling an i don't think thats right figured i'd screw them a little should drive them nuts as anything should be cheap enought to mount in the medium of the mediam to or three places,an question their abilty to operate even simple equipment. bet somebody gets a ribbing at the headquarters. head games are the best games,an always take the head shot they maybe wearing body armour.

butchville said:
a four lane limited access divided stretch of rd for 2 miles at 45mph is a little rediculous.
What's your big hurry? At the limit it takes 2.67 minutes. At 20mph over you save only 49 seconds!
Go much faster. At the speed of light they won't catch you. :lol:

I real awhile back that the laser actually works on the retroreflective front license plate. Depending on vehicle color there may be no other clear reflection without it. Retroreflective surfaces are the stuff used on road signs, pavement markings, etc and the term means that the light reflection strongly favors going back in the same direction it came from even when the light source is at an angle.

There are a bunch of products which can defeat this while leaving the license plate looking normal in regular light. They are not always legal in all locations. The lack of retroreflection could be noticed in the rear plate but probably not in the front plate since you don't try to read it with oncoming headlights.

A laser scrambler would of course only be useful in one direction, but the trap you describe sounds like it would always be from straight ahead.

There are products which claim to scramble laser, I would have my doubts that they could do such a thing. Minnesota, California, Utah ban laser jammers. I don't know if they employ a laser source or just LEDs, if it's laser then the FDA has jurisdiction.

Ok, now what if you were one step ahead of the police.

Why wait for the laser to be trigered and then respond?

Why not always send garbled signal constantly.

Basically, your system is always on, When you drive?

It would be like radar, but your garbled signal is always sending bs signal.
Hence you were first before the cops even pull the trigger, leaving them with garbage.

Just an idea.

How could you spread-out your jamming laser beam so that it gets to the cop's laser gun wherever it is located? I don't think your car vibrates enough to do it. Add square wheels? :lol:

Doesn't the cop's laser gun have its receiver on, showing if a car is transmitting an illegal jamming signal? Then you get 2 violation tickets.

one thery is that the faster you are moving in relation to the objects around you the slower they seem. so if you are moving at the speed of light and somone else is too. in 2 cars, you look out your window to the other person and he will be in slow motion. but he will see himself as normal an vice-versa

I've seen cops chasing guys faster than the speed of light and they looked normal. Except I saw them a day earlier than they were there.

It's very confusing to drive when there are phantom images of people going faster than the speed of light all over the place. :lol: :lol:

if nothing else i think i have learned from this post that my problem is speed i got to get my beam transporter working any voluteers i keep losing my help in a time light based warp. really though thanks for the insight an comments. butchville

butchville said:
im a beleiver in the kiss princple keep it simple studip. lol

So am I.

I just use a conventional radar/laser detector, and a big turbo. This is not an idiot proof system, as it requires user interaction to avoid ticketing, as you have to mash the long pedal on the right all the way down in a timely fashion, but it is much cheaper and easier to implement than your proposed design.

FYI, the most laser reflective part of the front end of a vehicle is not the front license plate, it is the headlights. The tag on the rear is the most reflective, followed by taillights that have built-in reflectors.

I'd argue that your risk of being caught speeding would not be impacted by having a laser confuser - if having the confuser made you think you were more immune and you spent more time over the speed limit. You've only covered one of the many methods law enforcement personnel use. My pals tell me that on occasion they'll pull someone over who has all of the alarms, detectors, etc - having measured their speed by following them or timing them. The offender is lulled into a false sense of security.

With all that said, it still can be interesting discussion.

I still think that if you go fast enough, like at the speed of light, then the cops and dummies who cut you off won't see you. :lol:

I drove a turbo'd car for many years. I drove it a few times with the speedometer wound way off the end of its dial, not knowing how fast I was going (near the speed of light?).
I sailed through cops' radar in Pennsilvania (I'm Canadian) and it took the cop so long to catch up with me that it was too far from his jail. He gave me a very expensive ticket and said I better pay it because they have a deal with the Canadian cops. I never paid it, I framed it. :lol:

audioguru said:
I still think that if you go fast enough, like at the speed of light, then the cops and dummies who cut you off won't see you. :lol:

I drove a turbo'd car for many years. I drove it a few times with the speedometer wound way off the end of its dial, not knowing how fast I was going (near the speed of light?).
I sailed through cops' radar in Pennsilvania (I'm Canadian) and it took the cop so long to catch up with me that it was too far from his jail. He gave me a very expensive ticket and said I better pay it because they have a deal with the Canadian cops. I never paid it, I framed it. :lol:

So you're a fugitive from the law. :lol:
Canada extradites you know. :wink:

Optikon said:
So you're a fugitive from the law. :lol:
Canada extradites you know. :wink:
Not when I can't even spell Pensilvania, Pennsilvania, Pensylvania or Pennsylvania.

I'm not a fugitive anymore. The copy of my speeding ticket probably blew out the cop's window or he spilled coffee over it. Maybe he was killed by a real fugitive. Maybe someone cut him off on his way back to town. Maybe a meteorite got him. Maybe he also framed his copy of my ticket. Who knows? :lol:

audioguru said:
He gave me a very expensive ticket and said I better pay it because they have a deal with the Canadian cops. I never paid it, I framed it. :lol:

Within the US, it is very strange which state's DMVs (Department of Motor Vehicles) talk to each other. I, and several friends, living in NC have gotten speeding tickets in the adjacent state of Virginia that we haven't paid, and nothing comes of it. I have a friend who got a speeding ticket in Pennsylvania seven hours and a couple states away, that he *thought* he paid for but PA claims he didn't... he's lost his NC license based on PA's say so, and is up to $1800 in lawyers fees nine months after losing his license. It's a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back