Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser data transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaRyu

I want your opinion on this topic.

I want to build a storage device, just like a usb flash drive, but with the use of laser as its medium of data transmission. Will it have an advantage over an ordinary flash drive?

It isn't Bizarre... The use of fibre optics for data transmission is the same thing... Really!!

The light medium would have to be consistent and wouldn't be able to move.. It wouldn't be a removable storage device...

It isn't Bizarre... The use of fibre optics for data transmission is the same thing... Really!!

The light medium would have to be consistent and wouldn't be able to move.. It wouldn't be a removable storage device...

What if i only want to transfer small files like texts. The device only need to be stable in a short period of time. Is that reasonable?

Which is a valid use, for a valid reason - speed and distance!.

Making a USB drive that connects via laser just seems a complete waste of time - perhaps the OP would care to explain EXACTLY what he means and expects?.

Last edited:
Which is a valid use, for a valid reason - speed and distance!.

Making a USB drive that connects via laser just seems a complete waste of time - perhaps the OP would care to explain EXACTLY what he means and expects?.

All I know is there will be no advantages.... That's what I was trying to say.... How can something be better that SATA or USB2 for mass storage... I think firewire was brilliant, but it didn't go anywhere...

You probably need two lasers (both directions), as reliable storage needs to transmit the data AND to confirm that it was received ok.

However if it just for something simple like a "text file" you could transmit by laser, with a checksum, over and over again, and the receiving device could just have a LED that lights up, saying it received the file ok with valid checksum.

However if it just for something simple like a "text file" you could transmit by laser, with a checksum, over and over again, and the receiving device could just have a LED that lights up, saying it received the file ok with valid checksum.
Sounds like a "Write Only Memory"!:D
How useful is that?:confused:

JimB

Wireless storage.. I think I get it. I can store stuff on one computer and retrieve it from the other over my wireless router. Is something like that what you are after?

What if i want to transfer files in a long distance? Let's say it's 100m away, can a laser transmission be used? say we have a very stable laser pointer.

can a laser transmission be used? say we have a very stable laser pointer.
Apart from the difficulty of alignment over a 100m range there would be safety issues. Anyone inadvertently looking directly at the laser, or even into a beam reflected from a shiny surface, could be blinded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back