Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser curtain detection project help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

visionsofeden

Hi,

i would like to build a laser detector to detect exact position (X,Y) of an object passing through a laser curtain.

The problem is that i need a great precision and i don't know what to use as photodetector to accomplish my goal .

The source of light will be a IR LD , followed by a beam expander and a collimating lens , to generate a laser curtain of a certain width.

At the opposite side i thought to place some sort of IR detector , but since i need to measure object position with a precision in the 100 micrometers range (0.1 mm), i don't know what could be used as photodetector that is easily available and that can reach that precision .

Another requirement would be a high scanning speed , in the scale of microseconds .

I thought about using CCDs but they are expensive and not so fast in response . Same thing for CIS .
Another option could be lateral effect photodiodes , but since i need to scan an area of apprx 20cm i could not find a sensor that match my requirements . Also i think that such a sensor would costs hundreds $ .

Photodiodes itself are quile fasts , some of them could be operated with nanoscale timings , but the problem is that i need a wide sensitive area and i could not arrange many high speed photodiodes in an array , because there will be gaps between them, because of the packaging beiing larger than single sensitive area and because normal high speed photodiodes are not guarantee to have a spatially uniform responsivity.

Could someone give me some hints about what could be used to make such a detector ?

Thanks .

Nicola.

You might look at quad photo-detectors. They have four closely spaced detection areas in the detector with only a small gap between each of the areas. This allows determining the relative location of a beam anywhere in the detection area with appropriate detection electronics.

What is the distance of the detector from the curtain?
How big and uniform is the target object?
How reflective is the object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back