Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Large Scale LED Chaser Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishael

Hello, all. I have a simple problem for a complex application. I need to simulate motion on a paddle wheel for a set piece in a production of Willy Wonka. I want to go all out and make a 2-4 color light chaser circuit to light the inside of the paddles. Each Paddle needs to be lit on every cycle and the duration of each cycle needs to be variable. Also, I don't know how many paddles I will end up having, nor do I know how many LEDs I need in each paddle. I need a circuit that I can scale up easily.

I have plenty of bright red LEDs, but if you know of relatively inexpensive ($.10- $.20 ea.) and very bright LEDs in green, yellow, orange, or blue, please let me know.

**broken link removed** the electronics is easy, but the different colors should be on separate strings so you can make them all the same brightness. current limiting resistors on the top of the strings and FETs on the bottom

that sequencer isnt beefy enough for my uses and it does not have an easily variable speed. I need something that uses a variable resistor or a rotary pot. the circuit that will work best for me is something with transistors in line, i believe.

A Google of LED Chaser Circuit will bring up a dozen or more hits including those circuits using the ever popular CD4017 decade counter / divider. You clock the 4017 with a 555 configured as an adjustable astable oscillator. The 555 frequency is adjustable for the timing. The outputs of the 4017, rather than directly drive LEDs are used to drive MOSFETs. That should get you no shortage of current.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back