Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop Screen (Dell Inspiron 1150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozz

I had a bit of a strange request. My 4.5 year old dell just gave out on me and I stripped it for parts. One of the parts I took out was...the screen. I'd like to use in some way, either set it up as an external monitor to be used with a basic VGA connector or use it in some other microcontroller project (maybe program a graphics card or something fun.

My problem is I have no idea how to interface with the device, let alone connect it. The connector itself is female and attaches to the motherboard. The motherboard houses a rectangular island inside an outer casing. I has approx 20-30 contacts I think. I'll take a pic and attach to this thread.

The screen connector has a movable bar for plugging and unplugging with a label attached:
"DCW 12 15 XGA
DC025062800
HANNSTAR 04/08/20
UC00352 REV:1:0"

Googling those terms doesn't come up with a lot. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

thanks!
Fozz

It's not a monitor, it's just a screen - all the parts that make it a monitor are on the main board - it's a seriously non-trivial job to recreate all the complex electronics to make it a monitor.

hmmm

thanks for the reply!

Yeah, it's just a screen but I was interested in making it a monitor or at least playing with it. If it's difficult to make it into a monitor perhaps just playing with it would be a good idea.

All I really need to know is
a) what type of connector it is so I can get hold of one and solder it to some PCB or Stripboard
b) The pin layout
c) The communication protocol it uses
and d) how to send it scanlines

This should be possible to find out if I can find out what kind of chip is running inside the screen.

Your questions are the problem bud!

You need some way to convert VGA signal from your desktop PC graphics card to the ¿¿¿XXX?? protocol they used inside the laptop (I mean, the mistery chip you are looking for).

Inside the laptop, there is no VGA signal to work with

Even if you (traveling to another dimension) find the layout and a label saying "solder here", soldering the modification would be very dificult. It would require special equipment. And powering the chip, how??? another design problem!

Just forget about it. Shell the screen, maybe a jerk who dropped his laptop is begging for a replacement. That money would look great in your wallet.

EDIT

MAN! re-assemble that PC! :D you can use the screen without the backlight, combined with and overhead projector, to make a cool theater!

Inventgeek.com - DIY Home Projector - Page 1

Last edited:
thanks

First off sorry for the massive images!

I wasn't hoping that anyone would go out and find this stuff out for me, I was hoping that someone, on the off-chance, recognised the connector (see images) and could direct me to a type I could then order to begin to interface.

Same goes for the mystery chip although my next step will be to take the laptop screen apart till I find the chip in question and its datasheet.

I can appreciate its a difficult undertaking, but if I dont do it I will have to chuck the screen. I can't reassemble the laptop as the motherboard has finally given in and I cant selll the screen as it has significant case damage on the hinges (nor would anyone want it!). I like a good challenge anyway!

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I've looked into this for my Inspiron 9200, of which the screen still works, but numerous other components don't (or didn't).

To answer your initial question: The equipment required to convert this to use a standard VGA/DVI connection would be upwards of $200-$300 in todays market, more the the price of an entirely new Monitor.

For more information (slightly outdated but still relative) see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back