Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop power on switch broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deniselabonte

Hi everyone!
My friend is gonna give me his acer aspire 3680 notebook if I can fix the power on main switch (SW1 which is a small SMD component with 5 leads...Someone busted it by pressing too hard on the switch. It's probably not very difficult to fix if you know the pinout of the switch, but I don't! I don't do SMD stuff yet so I don't know much about these components. So maybe someone around here knows how that little switch works, it has got two pins on one side and three slightly smaller ones on the other, and a flat round black button in the middle.
I guess I could just solder some small wires to the appropriate pins and solder another switch onto those, no? And why are there 5 pins to begin with?
Thank you for taking the time to give me some advice...I think it's an easy repair but I don't want to blow the laptop up!

Denise

I'll try to get a picture of that switch up!

Is the switch, circled in red in the attached pic, the one you are referring to?

Power Board.jpg

If so, it's likely to be one of these type of "smd tactile switch":
Hong Kong SAR Radial and SMD Type Switches Series. Kwai Chung, N.T. Manufacturer

You will need to take some measurements to get the correct one, such as the footprint and how far the button protrudes etc.

Also, here's the service manual for your '3680:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/11/SG_AS3680_5570_5580_BOOK.pdf

HTH.

Don't worry, you won't blow the laptop up.

SMD means Surface Mounted Device. It is unlike other parts that you solder in that their leads or pins do not go through a hole in the circuit board. Therfore, it is a device that is mounted (soldered) on one side (surface) of the board.

SMD parts are small :( but they allow very complex circuits into a smaller space.

I love these guys for parts. It will take a couple of weeks to get it and shipping might be a little pricy, but here's your used board: Aspire 3680 Series parts At least one of them is most likely the right one. No stock at present, but keep watching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back