Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop LCD - Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Hey guys,
I recently ripped apart a old laptop, simply because its too old to do anything useful. I also have the LCD, compltely intact, with its own circuit board still on. I was wondering on ways i could possibly drive it. As i said, all the electronics that are mounted to the LCD itself are still there, its just missing the rest of the computer xD I searched on google for the part no., and i got results, but not the ones i wanted.

Thanks

If the cold cathode fluroscent tubes are any good and you can isolate the inverter responsible for driving them them. Also the newer laptops use white LEDs which are useful.

If the cold cathode fluroscent tubes are any good and you can isolate the inverter responsible for driving them them. Also the newer laptops use white LEDs which are useful.

Some (at least, IBM ThinkPad T22) laptops have the inverter board in the lid with the LCD so it's easy to get at. The video adaptor is built on the motherboard as Nigel mentioned. Gaming/graphics machines often have separate video boards but I wouldn't guess that's the case here.

Torben

[Edit: I just about forgot. This site might have something you can use if you don't already know about it: Laptop Repair Help ]

Last edited:
Some (at least, IBM ThinkPad T22) laptops have the inverter board in the lid with the LCD so it's easy to get at. The video adaptor is built on the motherboard as Nigel mentioned. Gaming/graphics machines often have separate video boards but I wouldn't guess that's the case here.

That's true, I've got some ThinkPad fluorescent tubes and the inverter lying around in one of my draws. The interesting thing is that they are hot cathode fluorescent tubes not cold cathode tubes. I wonder if they decided that battery life was more important than compactness so they went for hot cathodes because they're more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back