Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laplace transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

vignesh.baskar

i am doing my enginnering in psg tech,coimbatore,india. i want to know the exact physical meaning of laplace transformation.is there any one to clarify my doubt..??????

Last edited:
It's very similar to a Fourier transform. Where a Fourier transform only has an imaginary component representing the frequency (The jω axis, a single line), the Laplace transform brings your signal/function/whatever into the whole complex plane (s=σ+jω).

If you understand how a Fourier Transform works, it doesn't take too much to extend that to a Laplace Transform.

Last edited:
They will explode your head with Laplace and Fourier stuff in college. The only thing you really need to know is:

Impedance of Capacitor = 1/sC
Impedance of Resistor = R
Impedance of Inductor = sL

Sub in jw for s, solve, and you got your transfer function.

i am doing my enginnering in psg tech,coimbatore,india. i want to know the exact physical meaning of laplace transformation.is there any one to clarify my doubt..??????

Laplace transform is a correlator just as the Fourier transform is. Instead of correlating with sinusoids (Fourier) you correlate with exponentials (Laplace).

Ok, that is just funny :)

Right now I am learning about Laplace transform in circuit subject.... The bad thing is I only know how to compute the circuit but doesn't really know the application...

A use of a laplace transform is for solving differential equations. A circuit with N energy storage elements can be described as an Nth order differential equation.

A laplace transform turns a differential equation in the time domain into an an algebraic equation in the S domain. Taking the inverse laplace transform brings the algebraic equation back to the time domain and yields the solution of the differential equation.

Though taking inverse laplace transform isn't always simple or tractible.

Last edited:
Ok... I am gonna sumarize what I understand.

By using laplace, we can turn difficult time domain eq. into simple algebra eq. (that is fourier).

After we solve the equation , then we can turn it back into time domain by inversing the laplace.

Is it right??

Last edited:
You can also use the s-plane to define the components of a system. Once you have the system defined in the s-plane (your transfer function), you can then use it to figure out the response of the system to a given input. You can also study the frequency response of the system and use that to determine a feedback network that will yield stability. This is true of both electrical and mechanical systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back