Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laplace and Non steady state signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillDubya

Hey everyone, hope your Christmas was well, and a good New Years too.

Quick question...

What would be a NON steady state sin wave?

I am trying to visualize it... I understand steady state, and I certainly understand a sin wave, but what exactly is a sin wave where you would apply the σ variable in your Laplace equation for: s≡σ+jω?

Normally, when using the Laplace transform for transfer functions, you always get rid of the σ, by having σ=0 and use s=jω, because it is understood that theoretically you are using Steady State signals, and their in lies my question...What exactly would a non steady state sinusoidal voltage be, where you incorporate σ = e^σt?

Thanks

A negative real part corresponds to a decaying exponential. So the amplitude of the sine wave would decay forever without reaching zero.

In the systems business we observe that: "the positive real roots of the characteristic equation disappear, or the system does".

Hi there,

Here is a quick illustration of what that looks like.

Note that σ is actually negative in this picture. If it was
positive the wave would ramp up instead of down.

Attachments

• Exp01.gif
    Exp01.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back