Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lane Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Spades

Hello everyone! New to the forums and a bit new to electronics. Well, sorta kinda. I took BEE back in 1991 but haven't used any of that knowledge except the common Ohm's law formulas. You see, I'm a Residential/Commercial electrician but have always been intrigued/baffled by the electronics (smaller circuitry) side since then. Never built anything since the electronics kit I received when I was about 10. That was 30 years ago. So I don't remember much at all.

What brings me here is the desire to follow through with my quest for knowledge and learn something that I probably would never have the time or inclination if we didn't have the internet. What I would like to build as my first project is a lane judge for a pinewood derby track. How do I go about doing such a thing? Or better yet, where do I start my learning process here? I'm not asking anyone to design this and do it all for me as I wouldn't learn anything so if you can, steer me in the right direction so I may learn how this whole system would work.

Just in case you need some info on my project, I need there to be a way to detect the placing of each car and be able to display that at the finish line using some 7-segment LED's. I am going to incorporate some flashing lights above the winning car as well. Another thing I am going to design is a countdown timer with lights at the starting line like the ones used at drag races. I saw one on another track that also incorporated an automatic car release once the light turned green. Ingenious concept! Anyway, that's the start of my projects. Please help a electronics tech 'wanna-be' get his feet wet. Thank you!

Ken

*sorry for being so long-winded.*

:D

Hey,
I don't know if you necessarily need to come up with some custom built electronics for this. I find that sometimes designing electronics from scratch can be a real pain in the butt.

In another life I was a control systems engineer, and I know you would be able to do this easily with a PLC. You can get some chepish PLC's now (sometimes called shoebox PLC's) like the Mitsubishi Alpha or even something a bit gruntier like the Koyo. They cost a few hundred dollars, but the plus is you will probably save a lot of time compared to making your own circuit from scratch. With the PLC you could connect a few light sensors and program it so that it detects the cars. I have seen (but not personally used) 7 segment displays that you can update over a serial link.

Another thing to look at is maybe some of those control boards you can get that plug into your computer. I don't know if that's what they are called, but basically they are a microprocessor board that you can program from your computer and they have inputs and outputs on the board.

A buddy I work with made exactly what you are looking for. He documented it somewhat on his site.

tsstech.org

Thank you for the replies! I have done a search on PLC's as you have suggested KingKrak and will need to do more research on how to hook-up and program these. Looks promising and I just might try that!

Smanches, it looks like he is thinking on charging money for his project. I would like to know what his system looks like and maybe pay him for plans, but I don't want to buy a finished project. I know it would be easier, but I'm looking to at least build part of it so I can get the experience of learning something. I'll have to email him and ask if he would be willing to show pictures and/or tell me how much plans would cost. I would possibly be interested in that.

A big "Thank you" to you two for the info. I greatly appreciate it!

=)

***EDIT***

Smanches, could you possibly ask your friend if he could post some pictures of what his DerbyDecider looks like? Either that or ask him if I could email him for info. I still want to build this myself, but if he has plans, at least I could do the work myself. Thank you, and if this request isn't something you want to do, I understand. Later!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back