Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L6203 H-Bridge overcurrent protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

I'm using a L6203 (sgs, **broken link removed** )
to drive a DC motor for a sattelite dish positioning system. Now i want to add overcurrent protection...

The device can handle up to 4A, So i thought of adding a current sensing resistor in series with the supply and measuring the voltage drop,...

But here's the problem, The motor's startup current can be a lot bigger then 4A, so my system would trigger and deactivate the chip every time it starts up, so i need something that would allow a bigger startup current for a short time...

I thought of just disabling the protection for 1 second or so on startup, but then there wouldn't be any protection for the first second if there was a real short circuit and my chip would blow ...

So, does anyone have an idea on how to do this ...

There are a number of ways to do it, one (as you suggested) is to disable (or restrict) the over current protection at start up - as long as it's only a very short time it shouldn't damage the chip. It could be as simple as a capacitor on the over current line - which delays the over current signal!.

Another way is a surge limiter, feed the chip through a large resistor, calculated to limit the current to no more than 4A. This prevents the over current triggering, then, after a short delay, short the resistor out - this is commonly done in high power amplifiers with toroidal transformers, the mains transformer is fed from a large resistor which is then shorted out by a triac after a couple of seconds. If you need to limit at DC you could use a transistor, FET, or relay to short it out.

How about making the protection in 2 stages?
If the current goes above 5A (the absolute max for the L6203 chip) then it gets shut down immediately...
And then a second stage that shuts down if the current goes above 2A for some time period (motor operating current is +- 1.5A)...

Any comments on this ?

You could try a circuit breaker, you probably want a self-resetting one. In fact, there are self resetting ones such as those from Polyfuse which don't have a bunch of moving parts. This is simplest since it should be slow enough to fix your startup problems, sustain the a total shutdown condition for long enough, and reset automatically.

You can use a lower resistance shunt resistor and amplify it with an op amp (or use as a comparator). You could do some filtering to prevent the turnon pulse from shutting it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back