Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L298N - What is the error in my circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaby

Hello,

I am building a car robot that uses 2 simple DC motors (3v to 6v). I want to drive them using L298N.
I built a test circuit using proteuse before, but it didn't work. I connected the same circuit in hardware, also didn't work.
you can see a photo of the circuit. what is wrong?
Also I attached the DSN file.
my questions:
why it is not working?
Does the sensing resistor is needed for proper functioning?
Does L298N works with 3v supply?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 172
  • sim.rar
    15.1 KB · Views: 143
Does the sensing resistor is needed for proper functioning?
The 200 ohm is the error, and yes, you must use the sense output. If you don't need to sense the current through the motor you must connect sense (pin 1) to ground. If you want to sense the current use 0.1 ohm resistor. The 200 ohm you use is in series to the motor and limits the current to 25mA it is not enough to turn the motor.
As shortbus said you need 5V at pin 9 , the voltage to the motor at pin 4 can go down to 2.5V. If you connect 3 to 6V to both pins it might work too, just try it.

BTW if you enjoy reading the datasheet your circuit will work better.

Last edited:
The 200 ohm is the error, and yes, you must use the sense output. If you don't need to sense the current through the motor you must connect sense (pin 1) to ground. If you want to sense the current use 0.1 ohm resistor. The 200 ohm you use is in series to the motor and limits the current to 25mA it is not enough to turn the motor.
As shortbus said you need 5V at pin 9 , the voltage to the motor at pin 4 can go down to 2.5V. If you connect 3 to 6V to both pins it might work too, just try it.

BTW if you enjoy reading the datasheet your circuit will work better.
Ok, actually when I connected it in hardware, I connected the senseA directly to ground, and I connected Vs to 6v and Vcc or Vss to 5v. I have read the data sheet, and I followed only its instructions to connect this circuit.
Can you test my DSN file yourself? it is uploaded in my post

Can you test my DSN file yourself? it is uploaded in my post
Your DSN file doesn't open probably because my version is old, I can't update it soon.
If your circuit as you describe it then it has to work. The only thing I can suggest is that if you powered your circuit with 200 ohm first then the sense voltage exceeded its max rating. If you are very unlucky that could have damaged part of the IC. Try using chan B of the IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back