Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

KVA Rating of Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I have an old stabilizer, but donno its KVA rating...
i require a 1 KV stabilizer for a some purpose...
How can i know the Rating of that old stabilizer?
What if i use a .5 KVA stabilizer instead of required 1KVA stabilizer?(ie., Meaning of KVA)

I'm assuming you are talking about a ferroresonant transformer. It will burn out with a 1KW load. Is there a manufacture/model# on it? If not, you might try comparing the physical dimensions of the core with new ones.

Ken

I'm assuming you are talking about a ferroresonant transformer. It will burn out with a 1KW load. Is there a manufacture/model# on it?
Ken

Nope, its a very 15-20 Yrs old Stabilizer,
moreover the brand is not so popular...

If not, you might try comparing the physical dimensions of the core with new ones.
Ken

What does this mean? Should i dismantle and compare with new one?

:)

The physical size of the core can give you a hint of the power rating if compared with the physical size of the core on new "stabilizers". If you have no reference to the manufacture/model information and cannot measure the core size, then you have no way of determining the capacity without trying it and see what happens. ferroresonant stabilizer transformers only work if used at or near their rated power.

They are not a panacea for line problems. They work for maintaining line voltage for minor sags in the line. But I've seen them ring like a bell from spikes on the line from switched external inductive loads.

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back