Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Kodak Flash Strobe Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

killer007

Hi all. I have a couple of these disposable camera circuits. I would like to change them into self repeating strobes! Can someone help me with that??

Attachments

• dcfu1.jpg
    dcfu1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 458
Here are a few before/after pictures of one I did a while back. You can use the search here to find the thread. There are a couple of websites you can find with Google.com that might have your board. Mine was different, but not too much trouble figuring out what needs to be done.

The SCR I used was 2n5064, but anything close should work. The neon lamp triggers the SCR. My boards have a charge switch, had to jumper it. Clipped the trigger wires, and pulled the attached battery holder and replaced with wires.

One bummer is that it's pretty stubburn about input voltage, 1.5 volt battery. Tried to measure the current draw, but wouldn't flash hooked through the meter. Starts at about 75 mA, and counts down slow.

The strobe rate is about every 8 seconds, more of a flasher. Might speed it up with a smaller value capacitor, but I have nothing in that voltage range (that I know of...).

Attachments

• Flash01.jpg
    Flash01.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Flash02.jpg
    Flash02.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Flash03.jpg
    Flash03.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Flash04.jpg
    Flash04.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Flash05.jpg
    Flash05.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 290
i remember when i pulled on of those camera flash thing out and i touched the capacitor and i threw it across the room:mad: . it didn't hurt too bad but a big pinch it was:D

It makes me jump everytime I discharge the cap with a screwdriver. Wish I could figure a way to get the neighbor's cat to play with one...

Don't use a screwdriver, jsut use a sufficiently high resistor. First time I used a screw driver damn near gave myself a heart attack, and I don't like loud noises besides.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I saved something from the web, but have to do some looking. What I found was a little different from my boards, but close enough. Search for Kodak Max, remember ther was a whole web site on this one. Xenon circuits are simple in function, and similar. Will take a look around the HD this weekend.

I know there are other ways to discharge caps, and the screwdriver method is frown upon for so many reasons... But I absolutely hate geting even a light tingle, so I short the leads several times just to make sure all the sparks are done, and I still handle the board with great caution.

Large capacitors can even be damaged by very high dischage currents, especially if there's inductance in the load as it will try to charge it up in reverse.

I've never been stupid enough to touch a charged capacitor but I've had a shock of 240VAC which probably feels worse than 300VDC.

yeah, i got hit by 240 volts and it hurt about 5 times as much as the cap:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back