Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Kit MOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

power453

I recently built a kit for pulse width modulation. Here is the link to it.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/02/illustrated_assembly_manual_k8004_rev3.pdf
Page 11 shows the schematic.

The specs says it is rated for 6.5 amps with automatic shut down. I am looking to run a about 12 amps through it. I checked the mosfet and it is good for at least 40 amps.

I suspect the shut down is handled by the sg3525 with a resistor feeding as the current monitor. However, I cannot seem to figure which one does this job. Any ideas on how to increase the output?

Here is the data sheet for the sg3525: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/02/SG3525A-DPDF.pdf

I assume you change the values of R8, R9 and R10, you can probably get the formula for calculating the current limit from the SG2535.

You might also want to check that the PCB can handle the extra current. You can reincorce the current capacity of the tracks by removing the solder resist and running some solder along the tracks.

Hero999 said:
You can reincorce the current capacity of the tracks by removing the solder resist and running some solder along the tracks.

Or solder a wire onto the track, so that it runs in parallel with the track.

JimB

You should check to see if the MOSFET gets hot a 6 amps before you try to run it at 12.

Like Ron H said see if it gets hot. That will let you know really fast.

Check the specs on the FET and make sure it can handle the power out and add a bigger heatsink.

I understand the wire part of it. I just wanted to know why they limited it when the mosfet could take more.

power453 said:
I understand the wire part of it. I just wanted to know why they limited it when the mosfet could take more.
What is the part number of the MOSFET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back