Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

killed my pk3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
managed to brick my pickit3 today and nearly did dads in as well trying to sort mine. had a google and seems a few others have had the same problem.
so this is how it went.

decided it was about time i updated mplad8 as i was several versions out of date BIG MISTAKE!!!
downloaded new version all went well installed ok, plugged in pk3 in debug and BAM mplab decides i need a new version on the pk3 so starts downloading boot loader etc, all goes well untill time to download the AP not a chance would not do it, i left it for 3 hours and still nothing!!
contacted microchip and man says i bet you have win7 64 bit, ermm well yes i do i said thats your problem he said! so emailed dad a hex file and tells him to take my pk3 apart and solder some wires onto j2 (wich is tiny) connect to good pk3 and reflash.
EXCEPT we did this and yet soon as we plug back into mplab it bricks it again!! microchip insist not there problem but a usb timeing issue with win7 64bit!! so i have a dead pk3 :( dad is going to ring them tommorow and get it sorted

Microchip support should do something to resolve the issue.. or do something to compensate. Sending one new pk3 with up-to-date firmware is nothing to them compared to bad reputation.

If I understood right, you managed to revert to the old firmware? Maybe you can do that again and try to update using a computer which does not have Win7. (You can also run programs in Compatibility Mode, but I don't think that works in this case).

Last edited:
hi, no i was given the new OS from microchip by one there engineers so i reflashed with that, but as soon as i connect to mplab it wants to change chips so starts downloading another OS! and becomes a brick again, i have tried it in VM ware using win xp but seems the pk3 is dead as a dodo now, so far microchip say it isnt there fault its windows fault but reading google says nearly 6000 downloads of a 'fix' they put on there forum. some it worked for some it didnt.
this is first real trouble ive had from pk3 but dad had so much trouble he binned his old one and only has this one because it was given to him by a rep from RS

I had problems, not the same, but problems nevertheless. Microchip will make good. After all, what else can be PK3 be used for? The PK3 is a bit touchy compared to the PK2. I suspect Microchip will just send you a new one or make you a heck of a deal on an ICD3.

It may ask for the old one back, but considering the cost of shipping, it may not. If you can get a 12 ga. shotgun, put thePK3 on target and shoot it from less than 3 to 4 m. Microchip may accept that as adequate proof you are not going to resell it. Plus, there is gratification. :D

John

not allowed to use the gun :( but i could drive a 4 ton tractor over it :)

well update. microchip are going to replace the pk3 with a ICD3! nice woman from Ireland called dad and said they were sending a pk3 dad pointed out that was a bit pointless as everytime it upgrades the os its going to get the same problem! so she said hang on i will call you back, this she did ten mins later and said i could have a icd3 for £60. Dad pointed out i was 13 and didnt have £60 and he wasnt gonna buy it for me. she called back again after 10 mins and said a icd3 was on its way with there compliments as well as a few samples and a dev board (didnt say wich one), apparently they are keen to encourage young people into pic micro's!! so a bit gobsmacked and somewhat blown away by microchips customer service,
i once tried getting a free AVR sample and got nowhere! what a difference

LG

I knew it would work. I got about the same deal, except I couldn't play 13.

Congratulations. You will like the ICD3. It does occasionally lose its link to my PC, and I need to reconnect. No big deal, though.

John

My stepson was given a PK3 by Microchip - great company to deal with and really encourage youngsters to use their products. I have a couple of thousand PIC Microcontrollers as well so he won't be lacking in stuff to program !

well it turned up today! also in the bag was some 44pin dev boards and 6 pics! nice note from the woman in Ireland with her direct tel no telling me to call her direct if i need anything.
using laptop at the mo as we dont have any power! so cant try out the ICD3 yet, i need to solder a board with a rj11 socket on, why does the icd3 use those sockets? seems a bit of a step backwards o_O
totaly different people to Atmel who basically told me to go take a flying leap when i asked for a sample chip!! i still cant see the difference between the ICD3 and pk3 o_O so what can the icd do that the pk3 cant???

LG

Excellent customer service indeed. Microchip's small outlay for the hardware and staff time will be more than repaid by the publicity and reputation boost. Good to hear that they are encouraging youngsters to be our future electrical engineers.

had a bit more of a play with it and apart from the rj11 connector i cant see any real difference between pk3 and icd3 , then again i cant remember if pk3 does software break points, i have just started using those and they are pretty cool, also animate seems alot faster but that might just be illusion, one thing for sure it hang less than pk3 :D

had a bit more of a play with it and apart from the rj11 connector i cant see any real difference between pk3 and icd3 , then again i cant remember if pk3 does software break points, i have just started using those and they are pretty cool, also animate seems alot faster but that might just be illusion, one thing for sure it hang less than pk3 :D
https://www.microchip.com/forums/m619205.aspx

The speed with larger programs on >8 bit chips is a real deal maker.

i have yet to use 16 bit pics but i will do at some point. i realy like software break points tho. i think its probally one of those tools where you need to play with the 32's to really get the benefit but so far i like it alot

LG

If you want to have a play with 32's I can whole heartedly recommend the Pinguino micro... £12 DIP module... The only thing to do is make the ICSP connector so you can hook it up to your new toy...

i think i will stick with some 30f's for now :D 32's are def biting off more than i can chew :D

i think i will stick with some 30f's for now :D 32's are def biting off more than i can chew :D
Strange!! I found the 16 bit's more complex than the 32's...

Last edited:
totaly different people to Atmel who basically told me to go take a flying leap when i asked for a sample chip!!

True.. I don't know what happened with them. They (Atmel) used to provide samples 5 years ago.. but now.. no chance.

they (microchip) have been really good, personally i dont like the ICD3 but i am not using it :D i dont do much electronics these days anyway i never seem to get the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back