Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

KHZ wand type antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxterdmutt

Hello all,
I have a wire tracer that transmits a signal on about 83khz. The antenna (a small wand) is missing. The company does not support the unit any longer and I have been unable to find a replacement anywhere. I have made some antennas on my own for my HAM equipment in the past but never for anything down that low and never for anything this small. My calculation suggests a full wave antenna would need around 1000 feet of wire. A 1/4 wave is still over 200 feet. I thought I could make some sort of active antenna but the antenna port has no way to provide power and so I am at a loss.

I don't want anything much larger than the original which was a little less than a foot long and about 3/4" in diameter. I guess I could do an active antenna with a AA or AAA battery but don't know if that's possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Roger

It is likely not an "antenna"; more likely an inductive pick-up loop similar to the ferrite loop-stick used in a 1960s AM transistor radio.

It is likely not an "antenna"; more likely an inductive pick-up loop similar to the ferrite loop-stick used in a 1960s AM transistor radio.
Thanks. I came to that same realization last night. I don't have a lot of electronic equipment so it's going to be a bit of guess work figuring out the tuning on a ferrite loopstick.

When working with ferrite cores if you know the inductance you need and the μ ferrite it simplify's the winding as the μ magifies the inductance. If the L= 200uH with an air core and you insert a ferrite rod into the coil that has a μ of 10 the inductance it increased by a factor of 10X. There is a company the sells ferrite rods. It is Amidon. If you do a search on the web you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back