Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keypad for a car starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukeoverl

Im just starting a project planning to hook a 10 digit keypad up to a car starter so when a certian code is entered it turns the car on, my professor said i should add more features on to the system, can some1 answer if this is even possible and any idea on adding on 2 my project would also be appreciated, thanks...

I'd suspect that you'd want to enable/disable the starter with your keypad. Other features might be:

For cars with multiple users (such as company cars) the access code could be tied to specific persons. You could log that and time accessed, etc.

You could add some type of test to make it difficult for an impaired driver to start the car. This might be simply requiring the entry of more numerals that are presented on the display in a certain length of time.

For fleet vehicles again, you might have the tones entered by another party remotely after calling in (radio or cell phone) to secure permission and verify fitness to drive.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

maybe have it lock out for a period of time (or have the car alarm go off)if the wrong code is entered 3 times

i was thinking of doing this once myself. then realised i had no car to put it on :D

i think the 3 times bad and alarm goes off is a great idea :)

You could make it control other aspects of the car as well, such as roll down the windows, open the trunk, etc.

jrz126 said:
maybe have it lock out for a period of time (or have the car alarm go off)if the wrong code is entered 3 times

A better idea is to disable it for longer periods, the more times you get it wrong - so if you get it wrong once, you can immediately try again, get it wrong twice and you have to wait 5 seconds, get it wrong three times you have to wait 10 seconds - and so on. To further discourage unauthorised attempts you could jump to longer delays after a number of failed attempts - say 10 minutes after 10 failures.

Look at the Electronic Lock circuit on my Website.

**broken link removed**

Connect the output of this to an SCR, Driving a Relay and it will Latch. Put a NC Switch in Series with the SCR to Turn Off your Motor.

A code to turn off your motor would NOT be a good idea. It would take Too Long in an Emergency.

This Circuit is designed so that Any Wrong number that is Pressed, Reset the Lock. Because of this, The Odds of opening this accidently are Astronimical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back