Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

keyboard for PIC16f84

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryam

I have a pic16f84 microcontroller circuit ,I wan to put a keyboard for it to receive a password to work,but I 've used all R0-R7 except R3 ,how can I do that and what part of program should I add to mine?

Maryam said:
I have a pic16f84 microcontroller circuit ,I wan to put a keyboard for it to receive a password to work,but I 've used all R0-R7 except R3 ,how can I do that and what part of program should I add to mine?

Have a look at my tutorials, where I show how to scan a matrix keypad, but it takes a fair few I/O pins.

You could use a serial keyboard of some kind, how many keys do you need?.

I 've already used all my I/O pins except (RA3 & RB7) ,and I want a 4*3 keyboard . I think I should have a swithching in my I/O pins between keyboard and my LCD. how can I do this switching in hardware and whitch part of program should be added ?

You could interface a standard AT keyboard, which would require only 2 pins. Or you could switch to a PIC with more I/O pins (Maybe the 16F628 or even the 16F87x series). Multiplexing I/O pins alternatively often involves using D-latches, such as the 74573.

Maryam said:
I 've already used all my I/O pins except (RA3 & RB7) ,and I want a 4*3 keyboard . I think I should have a swithching in my I/O pins between keyboard and my LCD. how can I do this switching in hardware and whitch part of program should be added ?

You could multiplex between them, but it makes it far more complicated, it's easier to use a better PIC, or use a second one to scan the keypad.

thank you very much for your quick and good solution ,
I prefer to add a pic16f84 on my board,then I need a program for it and connect perfectly to my first PIC.
I 'll thank you if you help me in writing a program(ofcourse compatible with PIC16F84) whitch accept a password by a keyboard ,then compare it and if it was true gives a 1 in one output pin ,then I can change my program to check if a right password is enterd begin its work.

Using a resistor matrix with your keypad, you can interface a 4x3 or even larger ones using a single A/D channel. I've done it before with a 4x4 matrix keypad and it works very well. IIRC, microchip has an application note on how to do it. It consists of using a small grid of resistors to create unique voltage divider values for each key. With each unique divider, you get a unique value with the A/D.

Best of luck!

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back