Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

keyboard controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

kutalinelucas

hi.
Im trying to design a custom USB keyboard to use with my PDA running mobile 5.0.

there are 5 push switches being fed into a pic ic, through some manipulation these 5 switches can hold 32 different possibilities which i'd like to use as 32 different key presses as a standard keyboard would.

All of the OTG purpose built keyboard controllers i have found are compatible with a standard keyboard matrix, usually 9x18.
Does anybody have any ideas how i would go about interfacing the output of the pic to the keyboard controller?

i could output to say a 6x6 matrix, but because there is no physical closing of the contacts how would this work? (use some hall effect ic(???)) or would i need to to use a usb interface chip and a seperate processor?

Any direction would be greatly appriciated.

As we've told you before, get a USB keyboard and strip the insides out of it - it doesn't take much thought to realise you can easily fit a 6x6 matrix where a 9x18 one is supposed to go.

i do appologise, but the thing i'm having problems with is a keystroke is detected by the controller when a button physically pushed to make contact, and so is a grid with a steady current and 200 odd breaks in the circuit. The pic will just be sending a positive pulse. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back