Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keyboard and Mouse Terminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardox1

:) Hello all,

I have an interesting project. I need to know if it is possible to create a Keyboard and or Mouse Terminator. I have 60 computers that always require a mouse and keyboard to bootup. I want to create a circut that will make the computer think that there is a mouse and or keyboard connected at all time when in fact there is nothing. I am connecting to these machines via my desktop computer using VNC (Virtual Network Computing).

Please can someone advise and thank you

Mardox1

I think it wouldn't be easy. . .

I may be wrong, but I assume the PC detects a digital signal from the keyboard or mouse, and to create something that gives the same signal would probably cost more than actually connecting a mouse or keyboard.

Your location is not filled in, but here in uk, I can get a cheap mouse and keyboard for about £6 for the pair. I wouldn't think you'd be able to make anything cheaper than that. . .

Thanks

I thought that there might be a device already created that does this. something like a Terminator Plug but I havent been able to find anything so far.

who invents PC's Bios software that dose not allow you to boot without a keyboard anyway. ? :)

thanks please let me know if you do come accross anything

Mardox1

that must be a pretty obscure bios you have, that it refuses to boot without a keyboard, and no option to disable that "feature"

check in your setup screens for an option that reads "Halt on: All Errors" ... its usually in the first screen or basic setup - there's sometimes other options too, Halt on: Keyboard only, Halt on: None ... none is what you want

Alternately you could impersonate a keyboard using a PIC or similar microcontroller. Or grab a bulk lot of nasty used keyboards off ebay, discard the keyboard itself and just keep the interface logic. Repackage the interface logic in something convenient and you're all set.

kewl

So you meen to literaly take apart the Crappy $1.00 keyboard and keep just the little circut board that is found connected to the keyboard wire and through out the keyboard case along with the key mat inside?

this sounds like an idea

:)

Mardox1

Now you know I am going to be all night tinkering with old keyboards

:)

I agree with justDIY. You're banging your head on the wall for nothing, disable the keyboard checking in bios, no circuit required.

No can do

There is no options in the bios that allow you to disable the keyboard or to ignore all erros at boot up

this BIOS is so simple that you can not even specify the type of HD you have... either it auto detects or it dont

Mardox1

I hate that type of BIOS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back