Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keeping a constant voltage on a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestcallumuk

Hi,
I would like a constant 12v output from 4 lantern batteries rated at 6V each with a maximum of 7V and end point 3.6V. 2 batteries in series wired in parallel to the other 2 in series is my current simple idea. The problem with this is that as the batteries loose voltage the output will decrease from 14V to 7.2V but I will need that to stay at 12V.

How can I fix this?
Buck Converter?​

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There is always more than one way. You could use a buck-boost converter or put all your ducks (batteries) in a row (series) and use a 7812 voltage regulator. The converter method will get a lot better use out of your batteries. The series way is real simple to build.

I suggest putting all the batteries in series, and using a buck converter. That is the easiest type of efficient conversion. If the load is very variable, then it could be worth having more than one converter.

A 7812 converter will work but the efficiency is only about 50%

3.6v endpoint? Talk about suck'n them dry.;)

I second Diver300's suggestion though it would be nice to know what they are powering or what the load current is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back