Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

K8055 / VM110 proximity sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haris_A

Thanks in advance for looking into this.
My knowledge in electronics is basic (at best) so I apologize in advance if my question is self evident or otherwise foolish.

So the question is:
I have an K8055 and I use it through Profilab Expert 4.0 (I am useless with visual basic, did I mention that? :eek:)
I wish to connect to it a proximity sensor (https://www.maxbotix.com/uploads/LV-MaxS ... asheet.pdf)
I understand that this sensor as well as the Analogue input of the K8055 both "expect" power (5V supply).
How do I provide that?
This is a question that applies to a variety of sensors in the market. Would your response apply there too?

I understand that the question involves hardware outside the scope of your supply so a response like "should work" is more than enough for me to try it out.

Thanks in advance
Haris

I don't understand your question. Was complete chaos to me. Rewrite with more clear concise sentences. Don't assume we know what your talking about.

If sensor needs 5 volts then hook 5 volts to it. I just don't understand your question. What is a K8055? Do I have to google to decrypt your question? Provide as much info as you can, I don't want to google to figure out your question, and I suspect others feel the same.

Thanks in advance for looking into this.
My knowledge in electronics is basic (at best) so I apologize in advance if my question is self evident or otherwise foolish.

So the question is:
I have an K8055 and I use it through Profilab Expert 4.0 (I am useless with visual basic, did I mention that? :eek:)
I wish to connect to it a proximity sensor (https://www.maxbotix.com/uploads/LV-MaxS ... asheet.pdf)
I understand that this sensor as well as the Analogue input of the K8055 both "expect" power (5V supply).
How do I provide that?
This is a question that applies to a variety of sensors in the market. Would your response apply there too?

I understand that the question involves hardware outside the scope of your supply so a response like "should work" is more than enough for me to try it out.

Thanks in advance
Haris
hi,

The K8055 is powered by +5V, the onpcb link pins allows an internal connection to the +5V [for testing] to the pots on the analog input.

The external sensor would be powered as required in the sensor datasheet, the K8055 pcb analog input can accept an input from the of 0V thru +5V. [the internal links would be removed]

Is this what you mean.?

Last edited:
ericgibbs thanks for looking into this...

I understand that the K8055 will accept a 0-5V analog signal.
The sensor however (if I understand it correctly) cannot generate that.
That is, an external power source is needed. Is this correct?

So contacts GND and AN of the sensor would be connected to the analogue input of the K8055 and +5V would come from where? A power pack or another pin on the K8055?

I think the misunderstanding comes from the fact that my question is far too basic regarding connecting components and circuits :eek:

Mikebits,
I saw a few threads on the K8055 and so I assumed it is a "known" product.
It reffers to the PC interface / Data aquisition card K8055 of Velleman kits.
It is described here (Velleman Components n.v.)

Thanks for your time guys

Haris

hi haris,
The sensor link in your first post dosnt open.???

Can you recheck, so that we can see the sensor output spec.

The datasheet is

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/04/MaxBotixNewProducts.pdf

but really any of these

Maxbotix Home

ericgibbs,
I think the question boils down to the origin of power for the signal.
In industrial control and Instrumentation there is what they call "active" loop and "passive" loop instruments. For example, a 4-20 mA (pressure) transmitter connected to an I/O card. The xmitter sends 4-20 mA signal but it is a passive measurement (i.e. power on the loop is supplied by the I/O pack and NOT the transmitter).

I guess the question is if the K8055 can power the loop, and if so, how (should be a 3rd cable no?)

thanks
Haris

Haris you'll have to provide a link for your proximty sensor, the one you posted originally is a broken link.

The Vellman K8055 USB board gets its +5V DC from the USB cable attached to the PC. The digital outputs read at about +1.2V and would be too weak to power an external sensor requiring +5V. If attempting to use the analog outputs on the USB board, you will get less than +5V as well. Use transistors with an external power source to supply the +5V to the sensor and switch them on/off with the digital outputs of the K8055. This will also save you the risk of drawing too much current from the USB board. A wall plug USB cell phone charger might be an easy external power supply.

I doubt the OP will get that, since this is a 4-yr old thread resurrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back