Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JVC RX-230R amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

posix_memalign

Hi,
I have a JVC RX-230R amplifier that is no longer working.

The device is five years old and has only seen moderate use. Prior to failing it was not put under excessive stress.

The device does power-on and does produce a very weak, distant audio that is of the same very low volume regardless of the volume setting -- unless the volume is turned very high, at which point the audio is cut and there is a click (from which I assume is a relay); at this point the device will remain mute for some moments before the relay turns on again with another click (after the volume has been turned down) and the weak, distant audio is again present.

So far I have only looked for bad capacitors and checked a few of the stronger resistors, I am however at a loss of where to look for the problem.

I'm not familiar with amplifiers and the common associated problems with them. If the problem with this particular device is obvious them please tell me what the problem is. :)

If the problem is not so obvious, what is the problem most likely? I.e. where should I start and why? What parts should I examine? I have an oscilloscope and a multimeter.

I'm not sure what else information could be useful for me to provide when seeking help; if there is anything else I would be happy to provide additional details.

Hi posix_memalign

The click you are hearing is probably the amp going into protection mode.

For the good of your speakers turn the amp off and take it out of service. If it fails and puts DC out it will fry your speakers as well.

The first thing to check would be for DC on your speaker terminals (speakers disconnected obviously) There should be at most millivolts there, the ideal would be none. If you have a scope you can start and trace the signal path from the input into the amp and see where it stops. Careful not to short anything with a probe or electrocute yourself mindst.

I have had a peep on various manual sites and can't find one for your amp sadly. A diagram would be of great use to you.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back