Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just wondering......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1845c

How many of the folks here are interested in electronics as a hobby and have a career that has nothing to do with electronics? I'm just a novice, but I try to read most of the threads here in hopes of understanding or learning somthing new. It seems like most of the active members really know their stuff, (a few in particual <i>really</i> seem to), and then it seems like alot of people post here once asking how to fix somthing and never post again.

Are there some lurkers in the same boat as me? lol

And for you pros, what area of the feild do you work in?

Electronics has been a hobby for me since my early teens, went to college for a couple of years until I could take it anymore. I work in a warehouse, where you'd think any moron could do my job, but apparently there are subcatagories... Don't need to think much about what I do, so plenty of time to think about other things. Lots of exercise, don't need spend my free time working out, pay and benefits not bad and actually better than most office jobs.

Basically, I learn about what I need to know to complete projects. The theory and math was too many years ago, but I know where too look.

I'm pretty much sharing boat space with you, Andy.

I was into ham radio many years ago, but allowed my general ticket to expire when I moved away from the club that got me interested and started. My hobby-interest waned then until just the past year. I'm really interested in the digital aspects of electronics.

I'm just so grateful there are forums such as this where one can seek information. The internet has made the whole concept much easier to understand and get involved in. I spent several evenings a few years ago trying to figure out how a seven-segment LED worked and was never really successful because there was no information available to me at the time. Now, one only has to mouse-click a few times to find an answer.

I really appreciate all those on this and other boards who offer help.

AllVol

You let your general class ticket expire too, eh? A dumb move on my part. Was too busy chasing skirts and beer bottles to pay attention to renewing it. Then agin, there's something very nerdy about amateur radio compared to beer, beaches, and broads. W Years back when I attendid a hamfest, I saw a ham wearing a ball cap with a solar cell atop it running a small cooling fan that was mounted to the brim... blowing air on his forehead. That's when I decided that I needed to distance myself from these electrode heads and chase girls instead. I've never regretted it.

Hi, Hi

RR on the tickets. I just plain forgot about renewal until it was too late. Found the form under the front seat of my car about six months after expiration date, but didn't really care, I guess, or I would have dug it out.

AllVol said:
and other boards who offer help.

AllVol

Maybe you mis-read, dsylexally transferring thoughts. I do that too, sometimes, yet even at my advanced age, I can tell a board from a broad even if she is a broad broad from abroad.** But thanks for the comments, especially the one about the german radio. I think your sense of humor is near-bout weird as mine.

Go Vols (ranked #7 by AP)

** Non English speakers can wear out their translation dictionary on that sentence, but that's another story.

Last edited:
I wish I had my General ticket. The first thing I ever bought when I got my fisrt job was a ham radio, with intentions of leaning code and passing the test. I spent many hours listening to other hams, but never have trasmitted with it. I really should get back on that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back