Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junebug Vdd low or ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I have encountered a problem I think with my Junebug programming a daughter board.
Been working just fine until now it hangs up while loading hex file or writing to pic.
I keep getting error that 0x0000000 is not empty or hex file not loaded successfully.
If I use the on-board 18F1320 everything is fine.
I found by disconnecting the PIR module from the daughter board the hex file loads and writes.
Only recently had this problem
Do I need to connect a battery (4.5v) to the daughter board while programming etc?
I checked the communication = ok
checked Vdd = it says it passes. seems low at 4.3v
maybe a usb power issue?
going to get some fresh AAA batteries and go at it again.
Been trying to check the status of my PIR on B5 (18F1320) and the PIR as indicated by voltage of output keeps going from 3.8v to 0 and back again.
This PIR has been working flawlessly but thinking maybe the voltage is to low to trigger a HIGH.
something weird is going on. disconnect the PIR and then I can werite to the PIC.
Will try new batteries.
any other suggestions.

Some general things that may help.

In both MPLAB and PICKIT2.exe you have the option of powering the target from the PICKIT2 or an external supply. If you power the target from an external supply you still need to connect the GND and VDD via the ICSP connector. The reason for GND is obvious and VDD is used by the PK2/JB to sense the target voltage.

The current a PICKIT2/JB can provide is limited. In some cases using a 5V supply on the target and telling the JB not to provide power will fix the problem.

When I run into this problem I switch to the PICKIT2.EXE program to get it sorted then switch back to MPLAB. Not sure why but the PICKIT2 program seems to get things working when MPLAB can not.

The first thing to do with a programming problem is to make sure you can erase and blank check the chip via PICKIT2.EXE.

If you are using PGD and PGC for anything other then connecting to the JB it can cause problems too..

If you have been using 3.3V chps and want to switch back to 5V check the IDE's to ensure that it is expecting the correct target voltage.

Going to try the external power supply. It should do the trick hopefully.
And maybe this is why the PIR is toggling all of a sudden=low power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back