Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junebug users - another fun little project

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

A simple POV display for Junebug 18F1320.
A "persistence of vision display" (POV display) has only a single line of LEDs blinking on and off. The display mechanically sweeps it across a person's field of view, giving the illusion of a 2D display.
**broken link removed** It's just printing "FUTZ" over and over. When the Junebug is moving one direction the text is correct. When it goes the other direction the text is backward. It's far from perfect, but does kind of work.

The multiplexing could probably be fine tuned to make a brighter display.

It's best to use a battery and wave the thing in a dark room, rather than risking damage with the Junebug on the USB cable. **broken link removed** which is probably a very bad idea, but it hasn't cooked the Junebug yet. A fresh battery might be bad.

Here's a pic of my **broken link removed** The code has 12 letters at present. I wanted it to be able to display JUNEBUG and FUTZ. Make your own from there.

**broken link removed** source and hex file. Have fun! :D

EDIT: Whoops! :eek: Found an error in the code. It shouldn't even have worked the way it was, but accidently did. The download has been updated.
Was:
Code:
main	movlw	lettF
	call	letter
	movlw	lettU
	call	letter
	movlw	lettT
	call	letter
	movlw	lettZ
	call	letter
	return
Obviously the last line should have been:
Code:
	goto	main

Last edited:
That's awesome :) Love it.
A $1 6V camera battery might be kinder to the PICs.
Some NiMH 9V are only 7.2V and a simple 1N4001 diode would put it closer to slightly abused specs. Original PICs were designed for 7V the 1650

blueroomelectronics said:
Futz have you ever worked with iButtons / 1Wire devices?
Nope. A few years back I tried to get that working and had no success. It was just around when I lost interest in mcu's and electronics for a few years. Now that I'm tinkering with this stuff again I plan to try again very soon.

Last edited:
That little connector under the reset button was designed with the DS18S20 in mind, even the pullup is there.
Kyle-s4H did some iButton programming for the Firefly.

Here's another interesting project that should be easy to do.
**broken link removed**

Or this
http://www.sixca.com/eng/articles/remote/index.html
Note: the 12F629 doesn't need the crystal for this application.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
That little connector under the reset button was designed with the DS18S20 in mind, even the pullup is there.
DS18B20 close enough? I have one coming in my Spark Fun order.

I've got both data sheets here and they look real similar.

I need to get SPI working on the Junebug too, but that's almost as easy as asynchronous serial. I designed and built several 7-seg 4-digit LED displays a while back that use the MAX7219 chips.

There is no hardware SPI on the 18F1320 so it would be all bit banged. The DS18B20 and 18S20 are similar, I can't recall the differences off the top of my head. There is also a PAR version.
Of course you could use a thermistor in the same socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back