Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

junebug ir sensor swordfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

bergaliv

Hello.
First post:) I got my junebug in the mail yesterday. Happy that it arrived, i opened up the package, and thought "ok, let's make some cool stuff".
Yeah, right:( I have no experience with pics at all, and bought this kit to learn. Now, that proved to be quite a task.

I didn't understand one thing about how to get this thing to work. So, over to google, and a long search began.
To make a long story short, i found some information on the web, and I finally got started with the kit.
Day one ended up with lighting leds in all possible ways:)

I use the swordfish IDE to work with the kit, and it's a very nice tool. I'm sure it'll be all I need for quite some time.

Ok, so after lighting leds in all ways I can possibly think of(including using the buttons to light them in various ways), i thought about using the ir sensor to light a led.
So, here I am, and I have no clue on where to start.
First, what port(pin) is the ir sensor hooked up to? All I can find the manual is RB0. I can't figure out how to use that in basic.
Second, how to see the value of this sensor? Can I use pickit 2 uart tool to see the value? If so, how?

That's it for questions for now at least(i'm sure i'll ask about a thousand more later on).

Back to the junebug kit.

It seems to be a beautiful kit. However, i belive that a total newbie manual would be a nice addition to the kit. It could be in the following form.

1. Hook it up to the usb port.
2: Set the switches in the correct position(1,2,3 on).
3. Download swordfish basic(and install it)
4. Write your first program to light ONE led(not using junebug.bas) to get an understanding on how things work.
5: Second program, light one led using a button(still not using junebug.bas).
6: Implement junebug.bas to the second button to light all the leds, one at a time(like in the example on the site).
and so on and on.

I'd be more then happy to help out writing such a document, or help out testing the document, if someone is willing to help out writing it.

I think it would be a great way to intruduce new people to pic programming(like my self).
Such a document could be constantly improved by adding more and more "lessons" as we go.

Ok, that's it for now, thank you in advance, and sorry for the rather long first post:eek:

Ps, again. Great little kit, the junebug:)

I posted some Swordfish code that reads a Sony remote and sends the command and device via RS232. It also lights the LEDs if buttons 1-6 are pressed. You'll find it about 3 posts from the end of this thread.

I agree that a getting started document would be a good addition to the package. One thing you left out is the downloading and installing the stand alone pickit programming software or did you manage it some other way?

Oh, forgot, welcome.

Mike.

Last edited:
THANKS!!
I'll read through the thread you posted. I probably won't understand it, but heck, i gotta start somewhere:)

And yes, i got the pickit software installed. Like you said, it shold be included in the starters document.

I hope someone with better english than me thinks the document is a good idea too, so we can get started:)

<edit> just read your code...beautiful! just what I wanted</edit>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back