Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junebug ICSP on 40 pin 18F4550 and 4620 chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I'm trying to use my junebug to program some larger chips. currently I have it hooked up with a 18F4550. This chip has one Vpp, PGD and PGC and two each of Vss and Vdd. I've connected all the pins accordingly with the doubles both connected to the same pin. The chip is currently not in a circuit since I'm just trying it out, just in a breadboard with the ICSP wires. I've had no trouble doing this with 18 pin and 20 pin chips. the 4550 and 4620 are both programmable in the 5v range. The error I'm getting is the normal

"PKWarn0003: Unexpected device ID: Please verify that a PIC18F4550 is correctly installed in the application. (Expected ID = 0x1200, ID Read = 0x200)"

That you always get when a programmer isn't connected right. I've searched for a solution online but I'm still not sure. Is there some other component I need to add?

Both sets of VDD & VCC must be connected yes.

Breadboards can have a fairly high capacitance ~20pF between tracks. Also the cable must be really short.

I've programmed oodles of 4550 & 4620 PICs, all without problem. Breadboards too. Make sure the DIP switch is all OFF.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Since your advice was consistent with what I had, but I hadn't checked the switches, I checked all the connections and moved the switches on and back off in case they weren't fully off and now it works. Sorry for the unneeded thread.

By the way, I've been pointing lots of my engineer friends who want a start in pic chips your way. The help you provide is a big selling point. Some are just too afraid to try anything other than their arduinos. But a few are checking out the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back