Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

June bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomdomokunnom

Hi, I recently asked for help here with a problem with a programmer I purchased from maplin, and discovered that the programmer wasn't as fully-featured as I hoped, and others suggested the microchip pickit2, or blueroomelectronics' Junebug kit; I took a look at the pickit2 but quickly changed my mind about buying from microchip (I was rather disgusted by the enormous hidden charges and the terms and conditions of purchase) so I looked for the junebug. Unfortunately I haven't found it on any of the retailers listed on the blueroomelectronics website, all emails I send to them bounce, and I even tried PMing blueroomelectronics on these forums, but haven't received a response.

Does anyone know how I can get my hands on the june bug kit?

Thanks in advance.

It told me it would cost £33 until after I was forced to register, when I found out it was going to add £8ish VAT, plus £14 postage and packaging. Then I looked at the terms and conditions and discovered that they get to choose the courier, but as soon as they give it to the courier, it's my problem if they lose it. Not going to be buying from them, that's for sure.

Last edited:
EPE had PICkit2 for 10 pound in the UK. Look it up.

It seems that was in 2008, and the instructions to buy it are in the magazine; it's unlikely that the offer is still valid 2 years later. In any case at this point I think I'd rather get blueroomelectronics' June bug kit, but have no idea how.

I recently decided that I wanted a better PIC programmer than my home made device, and decided on a PICKIT2.
I looked at Farnell and Microchip online, and found that Microchip was a bit cheaper, so I registered and started the buying process, only to find the crazy shipping charges.
So, I quickly abandoned Microchip and bought from Farnell. The device arrived in reasonable time and no hidden shipping costs, if I remember correctly, shipping is included in the displayed price, just have to add the VAT.

JimB

Last edited:
I recently decided that I wanted a better PIC programmer than my home made device, and decided on a PICKIT2.
I looked at Farnell and Microchip online, and found that Microchip was a bit cheaper, so I registered and started the buying process, only to find the crazy shipping charges.
So, I quickly abandoned Microchip and bought from Farnell. The device arrived in reasonable time and no hidden shipping costs, if I remember correctly, shipping is included in the displayed price, just have to add the VAT.

Thanks for the comments JimB; I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this issue with Microchip when buying in the UK; I'll take a look at Farnell. I'm still interested in finding out where I can purchase the Junebug though, if I can't get the pickit2 from Farnell.

Looks like both Farnell's costs and terms and conditions were much more reasonable than Microchip's; thanks again for the advice JimB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back