Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jumper wires (ebay vs. Sparkfun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavius

I'm looking to buy some male/male jumper wires.

Sparkfun offers 10 for 3.95$ (+ 3.44$ shipping). However, for the same price (including shipping), I can get **broken link removed** from ebay (off of chinese power sellers).

My question is whether anyone has any idea of the quality differences between the two, out of experience (i'm guessing sparkfun wires are better)? Has anyone purchased jumper wires off these Chinese ebayers and care to share their opinion?

That would be assuming that the Sparkfun ones are not mad in China and just marked up for a profit. ;) But, it could also be better quality wire and assembly.

Ken

Why not make your own...from solid conductor?

Surely you have a shop near by where you can buy solid pvc covered wire suitable....?

Or just find some scrap 4 conductor telephone (house wiring) hookup wire. I've used it for years and never had a problem on breadboards.

ken

I use hookup wires, but they're brittle and i tend to throw them out after every use. They just feel so... temporary. I thought using pre-made jumper wires would give things a more robust feel *shrug*

I'd be surprised if Sparkfun actually made them in house and are not just reselling wires manufactured in the far east. I am, however, convinced that they are good quality jumper wires (something i cannot say about the ebay ones until i buy them).

for something totally non critical, and cheap like this, go for the ebay.

i always use ebay if:
1. it's not a disaster if it goes wrong
2. ebay is cheaper and or better deal

Gee, Pavius, if you lived close enough, I'd just chop off a few feet of some cable I have. It's 50 shielded pairs and all ten EIA colors are available plus a bare drain wire and the shields. All are tin plated, #22. Fantastic for solderless breadboards. I have 50 feet of the stuff.

Dean

MrDEB - that's what i work with today. I have quite a few of these lying around. Problem is they're inflexible and brittle. It's fine to work with, but i thought the pre-made jumper wires (notice they have these plasticy tips) will be better to work with.

Dean Huster and mneary, very kind of you. If you're planning a holiday in Israel, please be sure to pack the necessary length of wire and a crimper ;)

The Ebay ones look identical to the ones I got when I bought a load of breaboard from China.

Pretty good quality actually and very very handy.

As already mentioned, telephone wire and 4 and 7 core alarm wire is perfect too.
Often available for nothing as off cuts and often 2 or 3 meter lengths in the skip bin at a builders site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back