Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jump(er) wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

autolysis

i'm really new to electronics and the question may be very basic so please bear with me :p

i have a PCB called **broken link removed** from device solutions and it has 2 expansion connectors (am I callinig that correctly?) with I2C. I also have a **broken link removed** that has an I2C interface.

now my question is how to make them talk to each other. Am I looking for female-female jump wire? (btw is it called jump wire or jumper wire?)

I went to maplink and they only stock the male-male type if i understand correctly as I can see pins at both end.

TIA

It's called an "IDC cable" or sometimes a "Socket cable assembly" -

- but it isn't going to work. Those two connectors don't even have the same number of pins, let alone the connections in the right place.

You are going to need to get a 30 and a 32 pin dual-row IDC connectors, like this one -
Digi-Key - MSD30K-ND (3M - 3419-7600)
- and a length of .050" pitch ribbon cable.

The connectors are usually .1"x.1", but measure yours to make sure.

You will have to cut and twist the cable to get the right pins to wind up in the right places - but on a positive note, you may not have to solder anything. The IDC connectors can be set with a pair of slip-joint pliers.

Last edited:
It's called an "IDC cable" or sometimes a "Socket cable assembly" -

- but it isn't going to work. Those two connectors don't even have the same number of pins, let alone the connections in the right place.

You are going to need to get a 30 and a 32 pin dual-row IDC connectors, like this one -
Digi-Key - MSD30K-ND (3M - 3419-7600)
- and a length of .050" pitch ribbon cable.

The connectors are usually .1"x.1", but measure yours to make sure.

You will have to cut and twist the cable to get the right pins to wind up in the right places - but on a positive note, you may not have to solder anything. The IDC connectors can be set with a pair of slip-joint pliers.

thanks for the advice, duffy. Do I really need to connect all the pins to each other? Isn't it possible to only connect the I2C pins? (2 of them, right?)

The pin width is .025", the spacing is (probably) .1"x.1"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back