Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Joystick to control a video camera.. Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebulb

Hi

I want to run a video camera on a motorised tripod head.. Here is the head im looking at.

**broken link removed**

It comes with a wired remote control, so what im hoping is to create a way to use a normal PC joystick as the control device for the head.. So when you move the joystick left and right it will rotate the head and moving the joystick forward and back will tilt the head down and up.. This on its own would only mimic the operations that the supplied remote can carry out.. However its my hope to also have two of the joysticks buttons controlling zoom in and out of the video camera via LANC.. This would mean the one single joystick can move both the motorised tripod head and zoom the camera in and out giving you full remote control in one device.. It would mean all the controls are in one hand and would be really easy to work with i think..

LANC is just a small 1/8th style stereo plug which is used on sony cameras for remotes... I have found some info on converting LANC..

DIY LANC CONTROLLER

Now here comes the fun part.. I have not got a single ounce of electronics experience and very very little programming experience.. is this project just too far beyond the reach of a newbie ? I am willing to invest a lot of hours if its doable but id appreciate any info from anyone on where i could start..

I know the start is to work out how the motorised head is controlled via the pins on its connection and then convert that in software to the corresponding input from the joystick.. Then also convert the joysticks buttons into the LANC zoom in/out and hopefully record start and stop and power on and off if possible..

My hope is also to get this all running in one small external converter box which i can plug a joystick into and then plug the LANC connection and the motorised head connection into and have it run without any PC etc..

Would appreciate any help anyone could offer.. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back