Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Joystick / DC motor control Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HYTECH

I am building a dual motor controller using either two HIP4082 h-bridge drivers or four IR2110 high & low side drivers. I'm planning on using IRFP064N Power MOSFETs. This controller will be drivin by a joystick and will use mixed steering(tank/skid steering). This will be for a powered cart that use Wheelcair motors.

My question is:
Is there a hardware only way to control the drivers with a joystick. or will I need to use a pic. I just got a Mikroelectronica EasyPIC4 and am learning about pic microcontrollers but I'm not to good at programming yet. any schematics or links that could help would be great.

Thanks

A real joystick with serial connections needs PIC. A bare bones joystick that is more like a stick that pushes 4 buttons can be done directly (but no proportional control).

HYTECH said:
I will be using a joystick that has 2 pots for x/y axis 2.5v centered 0-5 volts proportional

**broken link removed**

There may be some modifications depending on how your H-bridge works (one PWM input where 50% is stop, two PWM inputs, or four PWM inputs for independent control of all transistors). You'll need at least two of these circuits for each axis (obviously). THis is easy to do with if you have two joysticks, one for the direction of each motor. Just hook them up separately.

If you are using one north-east-west-south joystick, you will need to mix the signals somehow so it'd be easier just to use a PIC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back