Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jon's Imaginarium – Isolated USB-UART Interface using CH340

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visitor

In some circumstances, it is desirable to use an optically-isolated USB-UART interface. Examples might be where data from AC line power monitor is desired. The computer's USB port is referenced to ground, while the power monitor's UART lines may be floating at AC line level. To prevent shock hazards and damage to the monitor and PC, isolation should be used.

I developed this circuit to monitor 70s-technology aircraft aids to navigation where any glitch caused by connecting a PC would have dire consequences. Optical isolators isolate the UART data lines, and are powered from the test device.

The CH340 USB interface is powered by the PC. Power, ground and data lines have no connection between the monitored device and PC.

Isolated USB Interface Using CH340G.jpg

Personally, I appreciate these posts, they keep me thinking. Keep them up.

Mike.

Is it just me, but I can barely see the the lines in that schematic.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back