Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got fired from my dead end job recently and I was hoping to avoid being put back into another one. I'm looking for a job in the field of electronics, but the biggest issue that I'm having is that I have no clue what kind of electronics jobs are out there.

A few of my friends have given me some leads that I'm currently trying to run down, but I was hoping you guys could help a bit and throw out some ideas.

Any help that you can offer would be appreciated.

-Vince

advice

Monster.com is a good start. Do web searches for EE type jobs or whatever you seek, technologist, technician, FAE, sales, etc. Take some time to visit local companies in your field. Show up with a resume and ask if any positions are open. Make sure you have a good resume. You can find people to help you prepare a resume that attracts the right employer.

I'm sorry about your job loss, but if one loses a job, better to lose a dead end job than a dream job. Hopefully you will get a job that is an upgrade from what you had. This is a tough time. You will get a job, no doubt, but keep in mind that getting the job you really want is hard. Hopefully there is enough work that is rewarding to hold your interest. There is grunt work in every job, but hopefully there is enough rewarding work as well.

Most important thing now is the resume. Detail your education and experience as well as published papers, patents, awards, etc. Consider getting more education. The USA post-WW2 boom, 1945-1980 or so, is over. Getting a top notch high-paying job with a mere BS degree still happens, but less common now. These are some off the cuff thoughts. I wish you success.

Last edited:
What is your education/training/experience?

you need to have a feel for the type of job you want and the type of company you want to work for. i spent a couple of years looking for a decent job. i have over 35 years experience, and i was using a 3-page resume according to "conventional wisdom"..... i didn't get any job offers until i bucked the system and started sending out a more complete 10-page resume. even though many managers don't want to sit down and go through such a long resume, it is common for the manager to take resumes to their lead tech or engineer and ask them what they think.... people that are technically minded want to see what your skills are, and often the quickie resume just can't convey that much information..

Thanks for the replies guys, my electronics skills by comparison to some of the forum members is weak. I've got a lot of basic knowledge in a lot of areas but no actual experience in a specific field. I graduated from the EST/AET (Electronics Systems Technology/ Applied Engineering Technology) programs in high school at the top of my class, but college was such a shift that I wasn't able to keep up and ended up being placed on "Academic Probation" (a nice way of saying we're throwing you out). I fully intend on going back to college but can't afford it right now.

I know a lot of the basics needed to do an engineering project on a smaller level but I can't put on a resume "I've practiced this in my free time and I think I've got the hang of it." If I could find a job as even a bench tech then I would be in that position for quite some time. I know that I can solder very well, however soldering SMT devices is something that I still need to learn.

I've visited a few companies around where I live that I know handle electronics in some way while looking for a job. I've even reached out as far as Pittsburgh to try and find some work. With the tips that you guys have given me I will go back and update my resume to include more of my skills, I do feel that right now it is lacking a bit.

Thanks again for your replies,

-Vince

You application to any sizable company will go to a resume screener.

To a resume screener here is what you appear to offer:
1) Fired from last job
2) Failed out of college
3) High school graduate (class ranking is almost meaningless today)
4) May know how to solder through hole devices, but not SMD

What can you put in your resume that will be good? You cannot change the past, but you may be able to put it in perspective. Anyone looking at your resume will want a complete timeline. First off, consider what happened at the last job. Describing it as a dead end job will not help. Good employees will be expected to do disagreeable tasks at least as well as they do the fun ones. You need an objective reason for failing. Was it maturity? I believe you are relatively young, and you can claim that. Surprisingly, admitting that you lacked the maturity for the last job may go over better than saying it was dead end, particularly, if you can show a positive change in the interim. That is, "I learned from that mistake, and this is what I have done..."

There are lots of colleges in Pennsylvania. We don't know where in PA you are, or I might be able to give more concrete suggestions. Ultimately, you need to get that college degree that eluded you before. One way to begin is to get another "dead end" job in some entry level position at a college. You can work in almost any department, stockroom, grounds, whatever. Show you have initiative, drive, complete jobs, are reliable, and get along with co-workers. Then look into tuition assistance programs for employees. It will take more time, but if you don't have the money, those programs may be better than getting a loan to be full time, at least for the first 60 credit hours or so. Then finish up full time and put the past few years of failure behind you.

The military is another option to consider for a fresh start and to gain maturity. A very good friend of mine who ultimately ended up in quite a high executive position took the military route while finding himself. As he would say, "I decided what I was not going to do while sitting in the mud and rain watching out for cottonmouths."

Regards, John

Excellent advise John.

It's all about a positive attitude on the CV. Potential employers like problem solvers..not wingers.

Regards,
tvtech

You might consider a trace school to learn electronic technician skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back