Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JMD and Olimex hardware programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wekjr

I mounted both programmers (**broken link removed** and Olimex PIC-PG2) on a different breadboards to program the PIC16F84A and found the same problem on both, the program voltage rises to 10.5V lower than the programming voltage range (12V to 14V) I’m using IC-Prog on WinXP with installed drivers to test the hardware and components like 2n3904, 1n4004, 6.2V 1/4W zener, 5.1V 1/4W zener, standard electrolytic capacitors and 1/4W Resistors. Tried the programmers with different computers and found the same result. Connected a MAX232 appropriately with all the external caps and external power (see figure) so I could take the power from the MAX232 instead of the computer serial port and it when I test it with ic-prog the programming voltage was 12.7V and all the other voltages were fine. Tried to program but verified fails and the simple program to turn on half of portB pins and turn off the other half doesn’t run.

**broken link removed**

How can I make the programmer rise MCLR to the programming voltage?

JDM takes the programming voltage from the pc's serial port, if your pc is below spec then it won't work. a max 232 uses a capacitor charge technique to obtain a higher voltage, but it is only meant for signalling, it can't drive any current at all and therefore won't work.

Try a diffirent pc, or even better, make a P16PRO40 wich uses a decent power supply for mclr.

(www.winpicprog.co.uk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back