Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JFET voltage dependent resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag

Just a question:
How do you use a JFET as voltage dependent resistor? I know you use it in the triode region but i don't have any data on what voltages will be at the gate in order for the drain-source resistance to vary in the manner i want.
I know these values vary from device to device and therefore this is a rather subjective question, so can anyone tell me values for a popular or well-used JFET?

ag said:
Just a question:
How do you use a JFET as voltage dependent resistor? I know you use it in the triode region but i don't have any data on what voltages will be at the gate in order for the drain-source resistance to vary in the manner i want.
I know these values vary from device to device and therefore this is a rather subjective question, so can anyone tell me values for a popular or well-used JFET?

Well, you can make a voltage dependent resistor by placing a real resistor in the source lead and tying that back to the gate.. This is the principal behind current limiting diodes or current regulator diodes.. it can behave as a diode when given a forward bias and the current will grow linearly proportional to voltage for smal fwd voltages (behaing just like a linear resistor) but as the voltage increases, the effective resistance will increase thus providing a current limit (in this sense it is a non-linear voltage controlled resistor)..

for actual values you will need to work out the math based on the JFET datasheet and the source resistor you have chosen. A common JFET is a 2n4392 or 2n4391 N channel JFET.

You might want to consider something called a GIC general impedance converter made with opamps... google for it, you'll find lots.. I suppose one of these can be made to take a voltage control input and provide a proportional impedance output..

More details of your application would be helpful..

Thanks Optikon, I was planning to construct a tremolo effect stage in a guitar pedal circuit with this. A triangle waveform voltage would be applied to some sort of VDR (hopefully a JFET) which would be on of the feedback resistors in an inverting amp, together forming an amp with oscillating gain. Sorry i don't have a diagram, but i'm sure you get what i'm saying. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back