Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JFET pinchoff temperature dependence

Status
Not open for further replies.

magester1

Hello everyone, I'm having some difficulties understanding the following, I hope you can help me figure it out.

I have the basic understanding of the JFET, with it's pinchoff voltage, IDSS and all that. So after that, I tried to think of what would happen with temperature variations.

Lets say it's a n-channel JFET and you raise the temperature, I can see the IDSS would get smaller because of the reduced mobility of carriers in the channel. But I can't seem to figure out what would happen to the pinchoff voltage...
I know it's supposed to decrease (increase in absolute value). The only way I could try to explain this would be with a reduction of the depletion region's width in the PN junction because of the raise of temperature.
If that's the case, why does it happen? If I had to, I'd say it's because of thermal generation of carriers, but I'm not sure how that works anyway.
If it's not the case, then I have no idea...

Thanks for your help guys, I've been thinking a lot about it this last couple of days and couldn't reach anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back