Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JDM programmer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

unluckypaul

I am getting no where with the jdm pic programmer -
**broken link removed**
It is one of the ones mentioned in the sticky, on the site it shows it being made with a db-25 connector, but on all the apps i've tried the jdm setting is setup for a serial port (icprog.) Is there a way of mapping a parallel port to serial (as opposed to ltp.) Or do i need to change my design to use a serial port. It looks like it'd convert to serial easily enough except for pin 20 dtr. It seems like a popular design, i get the feeling i'm missing something really simple but after a few days of attempts i'm running out of ideas :confused:, i've tried searching for similar problems but cant find anything.

The JDM is a serial port only programmer - serial ports use 25 pin sockets as well, just the opposite sex to parallel ports. Later PC's moved the serial port to a smaller socket, but often kept a 25 pin legacy socket as well.

The JDM might be 'popular', but it's also the most unreliable PIC programmer there's ever been - is was a very clever experiment to create a minimum parts count programmer, but relies on the serial port exceeding the RS232 standard.

The reason my software, WinPicProg, doesn't support serial port programmers is that I didn't consider the JDM reliable enough for me to offer support for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back