Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JDM programmer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

krvavizmaj

Hi all, I have an unexplainable problem with the JDM programmer. I bought a PIC16F84A and after looking at different programmers I decided to build the JDM programmer.

First when I build it there was no response, I couldn't do anything with it, so I checked every connection and found a diode that wasn't soldered well. I fixed that and using IC-prog still I couldn't program anything. I was trying with a hex file that I downloaded. I did the hardware test in Ic-prog and it seemed ok except that the voltage was 5.30V instead of 5V. Then I tried WinPic800 and there I say where was the location of the error. It wasn't on 0x0000 but somewhere further away. Trying different hex file produced different error on another location. Then I made a test hex file with words ranging from 0x0000 to 0x15FF and I hoped to find some pattern in the errors. But, trying different ranges of words results in different errors. Like if I try words from 0x0000 and on, an error occurs on the 0x0010 location, but if I try words starting from 0x0010 and on, I get error on another location. Same error in IC-prog. Changing the delay changed the error locations but still it can not be programmed fully. I can program the pic with some words or if I fill the buffer with the same word(any word). Also I can read it and erase it with no problem.

I tried the same things on two PC's. one with Core2Duo processor and WinXP and the other with Celeron 433 with Win2000 and Win98. I tried it on the two PC's and on 3 OS's with IC-prog and WinPic800 and same error everywhere.

Than I took new parts for the programmer and started changing them one by one and check for changes at every step. I changed the two capacitors, the two transistors and few diodes and there was a difference but still there were errors at different locations.

Can anyone tell me what's the problem? Maybe the PIC is no good or the other parts are the problem. I'm lousy at soldering, maybe that's the problem, or what?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Krvavizmaj,

I will try to seek few clarifications that mighthelp me to offer suggestions, please!!

1. what is the schematic you have followed and whether you can try to post it for us to see.

2.Did you measure the Vpp developed - It is expected to be around 12.5 DC. If you get any less like 11V, you find inconsistancies.

3. Incidentally did you try the JDM programmer with poer supply derived from the Comport lines or externally powered.

Lousie at soldering-- you may try help from colegues konwn for good soldering for this time and you can improve in your future works.

if posting the schematic is a problem provide us with link details from where you got the diagram.

Thanks for trying to help, this is the schematic I used
**broken link removed**, and also the PCB for the schematic from the same site **broken link removed**.

On the hardware test when the MCLR is enabled the voltage is 13.7V, and the voltage on the Vdd pin is always 5.3V.

The power is from the comport.

krvavizmaj said:
Thanks for trying to help, this is the schematic I used
**broken link removed**, and also the PCB for the schematic from the same site **broken link removed**.

On the hardware test when the MCLR is enabled the voltage is 13.7V, and the voltage on the Vdd pin is always 5.3V.

The power is from the comport.

please see this site for further clarifications instead of typing over here

**broken link removed**
all the best

please see this site for further clarifications instead of typing over here

**broken link removed**
all the best

Not Found

The requested URL /bckelly/jdm_b.htm was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) Server at users.tpg.com.au Port 80

Are you wanting to build a jdm if so here a good one to try http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/pic-pg2c-sch.gif or just buy it it works real good SparkFun Electronics - Serial Port Programmer - Socketed

I already build this **broken link removed** , two times, on proto board, and it was not working :S.. i check everything that i could ... but don't found the error.. it just was not working .. i thought that the link above can help me...

But if i cant "fix" the **broken link removed** , i will build this http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/pic-pg2c-sch.gif .

Tnxs for help :)

With some exceptions JDM programmers are extremely temperamental. You must have a true RS232 port (most USB to RS232 converters won't work)

Parallel port programmers are less temperamental.

And more expensive...

I expect that what expensive is depends on how much money you have. But if you can not afford a Parallel port programmer you can not afford to buy a PIC either.

Seriously. Why should a Parallel Port programmer be all that expensive. The only additional cost is a 12V power supply. Chances are you will save that many times over in the frustration JDM can generate.

3v0

Last edited:
I expect that what expensive is depends on how much money you have. But if you can not afford a Parallel port programmer you can not afford to buy a PIC either.

Seriously. Why should a Parallel Port programmer be all that expensive. The only additional cost is a 12V power supply.

3v0

"Expensive" have one meaning.
"More expensive" i.e. "More expensive than" have other one meaning.

I said the second , you was talking about the first :D.

Well the 16F84A is more expensive than the superior 16F628A but people still buy em.

You've already built two JDMs and neither worked, does your PC have a printer port built in?

Last edited:
You can 1000 JDM's but if your PC does not have the sort of serial port that can provide the voltage needed to program the PIC you are wasting your money and time.

That is never an issue with a parallel port programmer.

3v0

Last edited:
Hi,

Thought I would just spend 5 mins to actually cost the three popular pic programmers - prices from the same supplier, no smd parts, excludes data cables and zif sockets. Plus my take on them generally.

PRICES

JDM______ GB £2
P16PRO-40 __ £5 (excludes powerpac)
PICKIT2 LITE_ £12

TROUBLE

JDM__________ HIGH
PRO16________ LOW-MEDIUM
PICKIT2 LITE __ NONE-VERY LOW

I've built 10 Jdm and all but two of them worked I've had the best luck with ic-prog.
But there one thing all of them I had to test and make some changes with the software to work. But if you have older Computer with like windows 98 on it they work almost
out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back