Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JDM PIC Programming Issues (USB to Serial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred.Amoson

Hello,

I'm in a pinch and I need to program a PIC16F88 using my JDM programmer. I normally use the kit 150, but I no longer have that and am in the process of switching to an ICD2. While I am waiting on getting that in, I really need to program a PIC16F88 with my JDM.

I'm on Windows XP using the Olimex PG2 programmer. I am on my laptop so it does not have a serial port. I am using a Belkin USB to Serial adatper. I have that configred as COM1 and I am using icprog. I cannot even get the PG2's light to flash. Anyone have any ideas? I have the XP driver installed for IC-Prog, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks!

As a JDM doesn't actually use the serial port (it just uses some of the handshake lines), and a USB/Serial converter isn't likely to even produce the correct voltages, it's not likely to work. You've also got multiple drivers, the program trys to access the port directly, and the XP driver intercepts this and feeds it via a driver DLL. This driver DLL is then intercepted in turn by the USB/Serial driver, assuming it will even allow single access to handshake lines. JDM programmers have major reliability problems anyway, and this is going to make things FAR less likely to work.

An ICD2 or clone 'should' work OK via a converter, as it's a real serial port programmer.

I am using Tait Serial programmer (LPT1), but recently my Laptop is down, and new Laptop do not have Parallel port, so I can't use it.

I have an Idea, can I select JDM programmer setting in IC-Prog, using USB to serial converter, and convert the RS232 hanshake logic , (may be with some level converter) to control my existing LPT input of Tait Programmer?

Will it work?

Dear VictorPS,
I also got a usb 2 serial converter and it does not work properly with IC-Prog. If you really need to use that cable, best option is to buy or build a new programmer with support USB cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back