Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

J-K Flip flops

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNick

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew where the name j-k came from. My professor says he will assign extra credit if anyone knows and i cant find anyting on the web!!!!!!!!!! does anyone know???????????????????

I found it in the 1st Google link I looked at. Hint: Wikipedia's explanation about flip-flops.

MrNick said:
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew where the name j-k came from. My professor says he will assign extra credit if anyone knows and i cant find anyting on the web!!!!!!!!!! does anyone know???????????????????
[size=+12]Hint:[/size] Wikipedia

i tried wikipedia.....it doesnt explain where the J and K came from or how it got the name JK Flip flop

From Wikipedia:

The first electronic flip-flop was invented in 1919 by William Eccles and F. W. Jordan (Radio Review Dez 1919 pages 143 following). It was initially called the Eccles-Jordan trigger circuit. The name flip-flop was later derived from the sound produced on a speaker connected with one of the backcoupled amplifiers output during the trigger process within the circuit.

The origin of the name for the JK flip-flop is detailed by P. L. Lindley, a JPL engineer, in a letter to EDN, an electronics newsletter. The letter is dated June 13, 1968, and was published in the August edition of the newsletter. In the letter, Mr. Lindley explains that he heard the story of the JK flip-flop from Dr. Eldred Nelson, who is responsible for coining the term while working at Hughes Aircraft.

Flip-flops in use at Hughes at the time were all of the type that came to be known as J-K. In designing a logical system, Dr. Nelson assigned letters to flip-flop inputs as follows: #1: A & B, #2: C & D, #3: E & F, #4: G & H, #5: J & K. Given the size of the system that he was working on, Dr. Nelson realized that he was going to run out of letters, so he decided to use J and K as the set and reset input of each flip-flop in his system (using subscripts or somesuch to distinguish the flip-flops), since J and K were "nice, innocuous letters."

Dr. Montgomery Phister, Jr., an engineer under Dr. Nelson at Hughes, picked up the idea that J and K were the set and reset input for a "Hughes type" of flip-flop, which he then termed "J-K flip-flops," a name that he carried with him when he left for Scientific Data Systems in Santa Monica.
What more are you looking for?

I think an old vinyl records also made the sounds, "snap, crackle, pop, flip and flop. Or maybe I am confusing it with similar sounds from crappy old AM radios.

audioguru said:
I think an old vinyl records also made the sounds, "snap, crackle, pop, flip and flop. Or maybe I am confusing it with similar sounds from crappy old AM radios.
Rice Krispies went "snap, crackle, pop". Rice Soggies went "flip, flop".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back