Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I've messed up my DVD player, please advise. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro-derp

Hello,

(This is in regards to a 5 disk RCA model RC5910P-D)

The other day while I was picking a new DVD to play, I stood up and hit my head on the open carousel drawer. After that it only shut part way and I tried to help it with a little force :nailbiting: (go ahead and cringe now). I managed to get it shut ....but then it needed a little help getting open and...it kind of slid freely after that. :banghead: Well thinking it was just plain broke I tried seeing if the carousel would move, it did a little. :facepalm: Realizing I was only making things worse I walked away from the device. So later, when I calmed down and evolved I took the cover off and found a DVD lodged in the back (from my head butt) that was easily removed. All would have been well if I had done that first, so lesson learned.

Well when I put it back together the drawer didn't respond and just kept flashing "Goodbye, goodbye". So I disassembled it and found that there was a ribbon cable from the tray to a board unplugged and I plugged it back in. Now the drawer does respond and the carousel rotates, but it seems as though it is not "synced?" with the player. It just keeps cycling through the disks...Is there some way to align the tray the way it's supposed to be, so that it corresponds with the numbering (disk 1, disk 2 etc..)? Or is it just in need of a "back to factory" type of setting thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've seen one of these and comparable sony ones on ebay for $50-70 but if there is something I can do to get this one back up and running that would be better. It's just for my workshop, not the house dvd player.

Thanks, Electro-derp (John).

20150203_093158_zpshtjo5qsi.jpg

20150203_093143_zpsby6ijcry.jpg

20150203_093132_zpsqukkjp9d.jpg

20150203_093129_zpsisc5wufw.jpg

The only method for the machine to know where the carousel is (and if it has any discs) that I can see from your photos, is the 'infra-red pair' (by the edge of the large rectangular cutout). That could be worth investigating.

I was going to make sure those were clean before putting all back together. So you think I could put the carousel back any way and the infra-red would be able to tell what's what?
Also, is that infra red pair what reads the discs? Because I want to make sure to clean that as well.

Thanks!

I doubt that it would detect which disc is which, but thats the only sensor that I can see. maybe there is something reflective under the carousel to state which 'tray' it is looking at.

No, the 'infra-red pair' doesn't read the discs, that job is for the laser (not shown in your pictures.) To the right of the rectangular cutout.

Okay thanks, I believe I know where the laser is then. This morning I was just noodling around with it to see how it works and the upper part and lower parts is held together magnetically. Should I just pass a cloth between them to clean the laser?

No, the laser assembly is a 'sprung' unit and very delicate. Rubbing it when you can't see what you are doing can mess it up big time. :(

I've done a bit of this with my CD player. I think the infra reds coincide with a small cutout in the carousel, they need to be 'broken' to indicate there is a disc present .. ..

From what I can gather of the unit, I'm guessing that it opperates like this; The carousel will turn to find the 'appropriate' disc. Then the laser assembly (lump to the left of the cutout) will come forward, grip the disc, spin it and play it.

I'd be inclined to leave the top off, power up and observe what is happening. from what you say it's looking like the carousel is turning, but with it not seeing any discs the laser assembly doesn't (or cannot?) engage.

Hi Musicmanager, my guess is that a valid DVD would reflect the ir, to indicate that the tray is occupied. I can't see any form of 'tray 1 - tray 5' sensor anywhere. Unless there is some form of reflective code on the underside of the carousel (not shown in images).

Hi House - I had a similar problem with a multidisc player in my car and there was nothing electronic in the positioning of the carousel it was all part of the mechanism that invokes as the laser carriage moves forward. In one of the pics there is a cream coloured bar across the front of the carrier with a second small hooked bar attached. I'll have a quid on it being something to do with that !!

S

Electro-derp, I've just noticed a 'slotted opto-isolator', just south of the carousel turning gear (last picture). That would give an indication of carousel position, but not necessarily which one. No doubt attached to the ribbon cable. Speaking of which, examine the end of that cable for bent connections.

Will do. Thanks everyone for your input! I have to run home for something anyway so I will take some better pics while I'm there.

I stopped home and assembled everything with just a few screws so I could see if it would work. I still have to clean the lens(s) but this worked before I jostled it so I think it's unlikely that's the problem. It opens when I press open but a motor keeps whirring while it's open and then it shuts. I plopped a dvd in the #5 slot and it rotated right to it and new it was number 5. It loaded it and went to menu (it's not hooked up to the TV yet). So I tired loading another dvd to see if it would let me skip disc, it does not. In fact, now it doesn't let me press stop. I read online somewhere that a person went into settings and there was a factory reset kind of option. Im wondering if I have to do something like that.

I took a few more photo's of it in case anyone sees something. Thanks again for the help.

20150203_141328_zps0f80aa7d.jpg

20150203_141339_zps3e22fd37.jpg

20150203_141359_zpsb176616c.jpg

20150203_143520_zps69a12583.jpg

Hi Electro-derp

I had a similar problem with a multidisc CD player which I did eventually solved although I can't remember much now, it was a while ago.
However, I've attached a copy of one of your pics showing the underside of the carousel and I've circled 5 points on the picture. These coincide with the disc slots and pass through the opto isolator also circled on the pic just below the drive unit.. If you look between these points there is a common. what looks like 4 square plates between each one which I think needs to be in the opto isolator when the disc is in play position. It may be a case of trial and error to find the location exactly but it should be possible.
Hope this helps
S

Attachments

• 20150203_141359_zpsb176616c.jpg
    20150203_141359_zpsb176616c.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 283
Yes it reads those slots under the carousel and then stops. I think its out of sync and lost.
Clean the sensor and try putting it back in in different positions and see if you can get it to work.

Thanks Musicmanager & 4pyros, I'll try that. I knew there was some significance to those slots but didn't look at it long enough. Clearly they are numbered.

You mention that 'a motor keeps whirring while it's open'. This could be important. Try cleaning the drive belts and pulleys with some kind of alcohol, nail polish remover etc, particularly the one in the lower right side of the last picture in post #2.

I think what is happening here is that a mechanism isn't quite reaching it's limit switch. If I'm not mistaken, the one in post #2 is the one that seperates the magnetic halves of the player itself. In CD drives it is a common cause of misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back