Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

it's superbowl time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't call you but I will call that over-inflated, over-hyped sporting event the Stupid Bowl. I never did make the connection between pro-football and the millions of beer-guzzling, gluttonous, arm-chair coaches that get all wound up. I guess it's no different than pro-soccer games in other nations. Now if you want to spectate a real sport, there's curling!
ZZzzzzz, ZZzzzz, ZZzzzz.:rolleyes:

there is nothing more interesting than a good match of curling! also snooker. i find all kinds of football and especially that pole dance you guys keep calling "base ball" very dull and boring as hell. zzzZZZzzzZZZ...

HiTech said:
millions of beer-guzzling, gluttonous, arm-chair coaches that get all wound up. :rolleyes:

I knew you would understand

AllVol said:
I knew you would understand
I understand it very clearly --- right along with the overpaid NASCAR, baseball, and basketball celebs. It's one thing to make millions in endorsements, and it's another to have ball clubs pay a single player million$ to pitch a single season. Then again, it's done daily in the corporate world too. For example, Home Depot's screwball CEO that went afoul with his management skills and still received an extremely generous severance/retirement package of 215 million $$!

Hey bloody-orc, I think golf is even slower than baseball. Now there's an action sport that could put a horny teenager strung out on caffein & ephedrine to sleep.:rolleyes:

HiTech said:
it's done daily in the corporate world too. For example, Home Depot's screwball CEO that went afoul with his management skills

And yet HD's parking lots are full and shoppers spend like crazy. Until those of us who pay the bills get smart and cut off that cash flow, they will continue to flaunt their greed.

Advertisers paid millions during SB XLI for commercials... and they were nothing but trash. (The commercials, that it.... but come to think of it, so are the advertisers, but that's another story). Each time a Buddy Bud commercial came on, some poor slob popped another one and A-B got richer.

And therein lies the crux.... the magic eye, the boob tube... television. As long as they shell out, this morbid cycle will continue, and I know no way to stop it, sad to say. I worked in the tv industry in the '60's, and we had to beg for a free pass to cover local university football games. Now, ESPN pays millions to cover curling matches, while they, in turn, soak advertisers to get their money back and show a profit. And who pays for it all?

(Now, that's my rant for the day)

Regards, all

AllVol

Was it just me, or were none of the expensive ads that great this year? It seemed like there were all violent in one way or another.

It isn't REAL football anyway.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Just a kiddies version of Rugby isn't it? :)
Yes, they wear padding and helmets, etc.

Rugby and Australian rules footballers don't.

They have a few injuries, but it gives the media something to write and sprout about.

Andy1845c, commercial were bad this year, that is the only reason I watch.
And they were lame.

All my kids play football (not the one with pads, called soccer here).. I enjoy the games. No beer there though (The school would have a problem with it I am sure).

Kiddies? The average weight acording to ESPN for an NFL player is around 250lbs. Guards and tackles are pushing 350. More like people as tanks than kiddies =) Do you have any idea the amount of kinetic force a mass like that brings to bear when they hit at a dead run? I'm amazed there aren't more fatalities. It's a different kind of game, and yes uniquely American for good or bad, but don't make 'light' of it ;)

Primary school girls play tougher games over here! - try looking up 'shinty', in England it's usually played by girls between 5 and 11 years old! :D

I've never tried googling it before, interesting it's the forerunner of ice hockey!.

Generally the boys have got more sense than to play such a dangerous game!.

I hope the primary school girls over there don't weight 250-350+ lbs ;) That'll be the second America!

Sceadwian said:
The average weight acording to ESPN for an NFL player is around 250lbs. Guards and tackles are pushing 350.
Being grossly overweight doesn't make you manly by any means.

No, not manly at all. I think I heard the NFL is thinking about putting limits on players weight because the bigger guys are close to giving themselves heart attacks.

Sceadwian said:
No, not manly at all. I think I heard the NFL is thinking about putting limits on players weight because the bigger guys are close to giving themselves heart attacks.

And killing the QBs, receivers, etc. Recall William Perry. That would hurt bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back