Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

its so simple! I dont know where to start......

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr bob

Hi all

Now i know very little about electronics (I've only ever played about with 555/556 timers in the past)

But I have a simple project I need help with, please dont laugh at how stupid I am. :p

What I'm trying to do is a window drop system for a kit car, for example you open the door the window drops down a touch when you close the door it rases back up.

The reson for this is the seal on the window is really tight so its difficult to open/close the door.

As stated its a kit car so I can add switchs to it any where but it already has a push to brake switch on the door for the interior light (door open light on, door closed light off) so I would preffer to use that

I thought about using a 555 to run the window motor down for a second when the door is open but it doesnt seem to work as the 555 stays on as long as the switch is closed and of course the 555 wont run the window back up when the door is closed.

Any ideas? as I'm totaly stuck (as I said I dont know much about electronics) and I hope you guys can help me!

Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob. Welcome to ETO :)

I have run across this issue a few times before, and only recently have I found the answer. Unfortunately, it requires two 555 timers instead of one, but you could use the 556 dual timer IC, if you wanted. Anyway, here is the circuit I think you're looking for:

**broken link removed**

Basically, for as long as the switch is pressed, the output will only be on for the set amount of time. If you keep the button held down, it will not re-trigger the output of the second timer until after the switch is released and pressed again. It takes up a bit more space, but it should work fine.
I hope this helps!
Regards,
Der Strom

Hi Bob. Welcome to ETO :)

I have run across this issue a few times before, and only recently have I found the answer. Unfortunately, it requires two 555 timers instead of one, but you could use the 556 dual timer IC, if you wanted. Anyway, here is the circuit I think you're looking for:

**broken link removed**

Basically, for as long as the switch is pressed, the output will only be on for the set amount of time. If you keep the button held down, it will not re-trigger the output of the second timer until after the switch is released and pressed again. It takes up a bit more space, but it should work fine.
I hope this helps!
Regards,
Der Strom

:D

Thanks that helped a great deal!

I made this :

**broken link removed**

....In crocodile clips (only using a SPDT switch and 4 555's) and it done exactly what i wanted it to do, but thinking about it, if i had the window fully down and i opened the door it would try to drop the window which is fine as it wont do anything but it will put the window up a bit when i closed the door, not sure how to get round that but i'm sure i can live with it

Thanks again been a great help

:D

Thanks that helped a great deal!

I made this :

**broken link removed**

....In crocodile clips (only using a SPDT switch and 4 555's) and it done exactly what i wanted it to do, but thinking about it, if i had the window fully down and i opened the door it would try to drop the window which is fine as it wont do anything but it will put the window up a bit when i closed the door, not sure how to get round that but i'm sure i can live with it

Thanks again been a great help

Looks pretty good. Let me know how it works out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back