Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Italian 220V to Swiss 3x 400V converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailint

What do I need to power this 3 x 400V Swiss industrial fan with Italian 220V home power?

04.05.2014-19.00.png

I found this thing in the box that is supposed to do the conversion that I need but I fear to use it because I don't exactly know what it is:
04.05.2014-19.14.png

Other photos that can help to understand:
04.05.2014-19.31.png

04.05.2014-19.33.png

Last edited:
Looking at your photos, the motor is currently wired in Star config (some folks call it Wye). You need to change that to a Delta configuration. You input your 220V mains across one phase winding (2 Delta connections) and then add your capacitor (round shiny metal thingy) between one of the mains input connections and the third Delta connection. Depending on which pair of delta connections that you take the capacitor leg to, will determine which way the motor runs (clockwise or anti-clockwise). It should be noted though, that the motor will be much less efficient in this configuration, but should run fine if the capacitor is large enough for it and it's not under too much load at start up :)

Of course that only helps you with the motor. The starter that you have may also be 415V (380V), which would require to either be replaced with a 220V one or the coil in the contactor replaced with a 220V one.

Begin by identifying the ends of each winding. In order to connect them in Delta config you will want to connect the windings such that U1 & V2, V1 & W2 & W1 & U2 are connected together. This will give you 3 connection points each having a single pair of Delta connections. Your mains input will then go across any one pair of connections with your capacitor going between the third and either of your mains input connection points depending on which direction you want the motor to run.

I see from the photos that the windings are already marked so I won't confuse you further by telling you how to perform a flick test.

Last edited:
there is no difference between Italian or Swiss power, both are 230V single phase which means 400V phase-to-phase in a 3phase.

the fan you have is requiring 3phase power. the "thing" that you have found is capacitor. capacitor can be used to start certain motor types from single phase (to run motor, you need rotating field and capacitor provides phase shift). this is a small load (200W), without upgrading your home service to three phase, the best way is to use a small inverter. there are alternatives to inverter - all capable to "get the motor running" but may have some limitations (load, speed, power, startup ...).

inverters basically produce 3phase output (and at the same time change frequency allowing you to control velocity of the motor). while most inverters are meant for large motors and therefore require 3phase input, in the recent years there was quite a few low power models that use single phase as power input. i would look on eBay for bargains. inverters are commonly known as VFD or VSD and they are made by many companies (AB, SEW, Siemens, Lenze, Schneider,...). note that VFDs in general need some configuring of parameters (need manual, printed of PDF).

here is an example using vfd (note here they show 120V version for US market but there is of course 220V unit too):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back