Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issue with a hex inverter (sn74ls04n)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjkrenik

Hi guys I am currently taking a digital systems class and have run into some issues with operating a hex inverter, sn74ls04n. I have read the datasheet and this is what I have come up with: Pin 7 is connected to the ground, pin 14 is connected to a +5V power source, pin 1 is connected to a 0 to 5v square wave function. When I check the square wave on an oscilloscope it appears as it should oscillating in a square wave like fashion from 0 to 5V.

My issue is when I check the output of pin 2 on the oscilloscope I expect the square wave to look the same but inverted but instead it looks like a square wave that oscillates from like 4V to 5V.

I have tried a few different 74ls04n chips but no luck. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

It sounds like the ground problem. You can compare your circuit to the datasheet.

Looks like only the 54 series came in the W package but I see what you were thinking. Maybe he has a real small value pullup resistor on the output, or two outputs are shorted? Hard to say without a schematic.

Last edited:
The output of a TTL 74LSxxxx IC has a low of 0.1V to 0.4V and a high of 2.7V to 3.5V.

The frequency does not affect the output swing of a logic IC much until its slew rate can no nonger produce a square-wave.

Do you have the negative terminal of the 5V supply, the ground on the signal source, and the scope ground all connected together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back