Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolation distance for Mains PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Hello everyone, apologies if this is a restricted topic but i genuinely can't find anything about it in any of my books.

I'm making a switch mode power supply that will be run from the mains, input 240V AC output adjustable from about 1V to 24V. This will all be persormed on a single sided fibreglass PCB.

Naturally safety is the main concern, I have read a few pages of people oohing and ahhing over anything from 5mm to 8mm. I have decided to play it safe and try for the largest I can get away with, which in my case is some 15-20mm. The only point of concern is the optocoupler for feedback. I can only find ones in the narrow dip style packaging. Is there any way the distance between HV and LV sides can be increaded?

Sorry for seeming a little apprehensive, this is my first mains project that involvs a PCB, I have worked with mains voltages and higher many times, just never with a PCB.

There are guidelins, but it depends on what part of the world you are in, the smallest I've seen on existing gear is about 4mm, 15mm sounds plenty, unless your running it in a high humidity environment.

You will also find in common practise, that the PCB is slotted underneath the opto coupler to increase the isolation barrier :)

Hello everone, problem solved in an odd way. I did end up using a standard opto-isolator, however I cut the PCB to leave a nice 12mm isolation gap, coubled with some well isolated traces. I also added plenty of quick blow fuses and an earth leakage circuit breaker. I don't mind being slightly paranoid with the mains :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back